cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcole3
Community Contributor

LTI Developer needing (full) student access

Jump to solution

We are working to figure out why our Smarter Measure assessment LTI isn't working the way it should. We have been working with one of their developers, and we have given them instructor access and student access. But they need to be able to access the full course as a student (not student view). And short of removing all of prerequisites, I am not what the best method would be to allow the student account access to the entire course.

Any suggestions?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kristin_bayless
Community Contributor

Jeremy,

I don't know if this will help in your particular instance, but I created a sub-account specifically for LTI testing.  I use this serially, so there's only one vendor doing testing at a time.  I add one user from the vendor's organization and give them sub-account admin access, so they have the ability to work with the LTI settings.  No other LTIs are setup in the account at the time.  They can see the LTIs set up at the root level, but not the specifics. The vendor user account is removed once testing is complete.  There are no student accounts associated with the sub-account except one test student and a test teacher.  I give them those logins. They have no access to users or root. I'm also involved with the testing, and have not found any vendors to misuse the account.  They're very happy to have a live account to test with so they can get their interfaces going.  Generally, they just want to monitor the transmissions between our Canvas instance and their product.

In only one case did I find a vendor register for a token, but it didn't get them very far and was deleted with the user account.  At times, testing needs to be done in a regular account.  In those cases, I do the testing and take screencasts of the results for the vendor.  Hope this helps.  If anyone sees any potential problems with my routine, please let me know!  I've logged in as the vendors several times, but couldn't see any openings to users or data.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Can they wait until Canvas Release: MasteryPaths​ comes out? If so, then you could use this to create a path that bypassed all the requirements/prerequisites.

Otherwise I'm going to share this with the Canvas Admins​ and Canvas Developers​ groups in the Community to see if they can help!

kristin_bayless
Community Contributor

Jeremy,

I don't know if this will help in your particular instance, but I created a sub-account specifically for LTI testing.  I use this serially, so there's only one vendor doing testing at a time.  I add one user from the vendor's organization and give them sub-account admin access, so they have the ability to work with the LTI settings.  No other LTIs are setup in the account at the time.  They can see the LTIs set up at the root level, but not the specifics. The vendor user account is removed once testing is complete.  There are no student accounts associated with the sub-account except one test student and a test teacher.  I give them those logins. They have no access to users or root. I'm also involved with the testing, and have not found any vendors to misuse the account.  They're very happy to have a live account to test with so they can get their interfaces going.  Generally, they just want to monitor the transmissions between our Canvas instance and their product.

In only one case did I find a vendor register for a token, but it didn't get them very far and was deleted with the user account.  At times, testing needs to be done in a regular account.  In those cases, I do the testing and take screencasts of the results for the vendor.  Hope this helps.  If anyone sees any potential problems with my routine, please let me know!  I've logged in as the vendors several times, but couldn't see any openings to users or data.

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @jcole3 ​...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread since the postings from  @kona ​ and  @kristin_bayless ​ on November 8th.  Did either of those responses help to answer your question?  If so, please go ahead and mark one of those responses as "Correct".  If not, please post an additional message below so that members of the Community can further help you troubleshoot.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from adding additional responses to this question.  Looking forward to your reply, Jeremy.

jcole3
Community Contributor

I actually really like this approach Kristin. We are still fighting to have all the bugs worked - so when I get back from the break I will have to set-up a new sub-account just for developer/publisher testing.

Thanks!

jcole3
Community Contributor

Thanks for reminding me about this thread! I had let it slip off my radar...I have actually fallen off the face of the earth as far as the community is concerned. Just end of term craziness!