Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skhagen

Lag in display of rich content editor box?

Jump to solution

Anyone else noticing a lag in the display of the rich content editor box when creating a new assignment or announcement? It's taking 30-90 seconds for the box to appear, if it appears at all.

Have tried this on multiple browsers and both mac/PC, cleared cache and cookies.

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
skhagen

Thanks, Kelley. I'd been calling it the content selector. How 2016 of me!

I think the delay may have been caused by networking issues on our campus Monday that were resolved late yesterday. The instructor who initially reported the error mentioned that unplugging ethernet and switching to wireless worked for him. Strange that this would affect the RCE box specifically, but I had all kinds of lags the next day on non-Canvas pages. (These are the moments that make us grateful for the smoothly-running system we take for granted on all the other days.)

So, for anyone still reading, I now have 3 basic troubleshooting steps for display issues:

1. most updated browser? 

2. clear cache and cookies? 

3. local network outage?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @skhagen ...

I am unable to recreate this in my own testing.  The RCE appears right away when I create a new Announcement or a new Assignment.  I am using a PC with Windows 10, and I am using Google Chrome (v. 65) for my web browser.  Have you reported this issue to the Canvas Help Desk staff?  You can do so by clicking on the "Help" menu on the left side of your Canvas environment, and there should be some links for you to click on.  Refer to this Guide for additional information: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12877-4152719652 

I hope this is hepful to you, Sara.

Thanks,  @chofer . I did report this as a bug. I like to also check with Community to see if the scope of the issue is larger than just our local account. Your testing helps me confirm that it's likely to be just our instance. Also, I search Community before reporting an issue, so I think it helps to create questions like this for anyone who might search for a similar issue later. Thanks for your response!

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @skhagen ‌

I get between a 5 and 15 second delay and first noted it when we first enabled the enhancements to the RCE sidebar (used to be called the "content selector"). When this was first released it was called the remote sidebar, and I do not know why). Anyways, I do see a delay, where previously I did not.

You might be interested in this great discussion from  @kblack ‌ in January 2017............. https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/12126-friendly-advice-disable-use-remote-version-of-rich-cont... 

Kelley

skhagen

Thanks, Kelley. I'd been calling it the content selector. How 2016 of me!

I think the delay may have been caused by networking issues on our campus Monday that were resolved late yesterday. The instructor who initially reported the error mentioned that unplugging ethernet and switching to wireless worked for him. Strange that this would affect the RCE box specifically, but I had all kinds of lags the next day on non-Canvas pages. (These are the moments that make us grateful for the smoothly-running system we take for granted on all the other days.)

So, for anyone still reading, I now have 3 basic troubleshooting steps for display issues:

1. most updated browser? 

2. clear cache and cookies? 

3. local network outage?