cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jthoms
Community Participant

LastPass incompatible with assignment submission

Jump to solution

A few of our students have had difficulty submitting an assignment in Canvas. With the help of Canvas support, we have discovered that the LastPass extension is at fault. When a student submits an assignment with the LastPass extension installed, the file is uploaded (ie: it appears under "Files you have already uploaded"), but the "Submit Assignment" button stays grayed out and the submission never appears in SpeedGrader.

Available workarounds are disabling the extension or loading Canvas in an Incognito window.

I haven't had much luck with the LastPass settings, or with the information available in the browser Developer Tools, but it could be that my Jedi skills aren't strong enough.

Hopefully the community might have some insight :smileylaugh:

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobDitto
Community Champion

Our institution just received word from LogMeIn (parent of LastPass) that Chrome extension version 4.1.40 resolves the student assignment submission conflict with Canvas. I just tested this new version, and it does solve the problem.

I want to encourage others to post here if they see any other Canvas file upload issues with LastPass 4.1.40 and above.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
RobDitto
Community Champion

This is happening at Penn too, but only in Google Chrome; we're also a LastPass customer and opened a Canvas Support case about this issue. I understand that representatives of Instructure and LastPass are now in touch with each other, and that preliminarily the issue is believed to relate to a January release of the Chrome extension.

pcraig
Community Participant

Thanks for these details, we have not heard reports of this yet, but I expect we will soon and the workarounds provided will be very helpful!  I hope Instructure sends a note out about this when it's resolved given the large volume of people who use LastPass now for password management. 

fosterl
Community Contributor

We are seeing a big handful of these cases, all of which have the latest version of Chrome (56). None have actually confirmed that they have LastPass, and we do not use that institutionally at OSU; but when they use an incognito window (or Firefox), they have no problems submitting.

dschuma
Community Participant

Rob - a student here at BGSU has asked whether Instructure has a fix scheduled for this issue.  Do you have any information?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hoping we can get a fix on this soon! Harvard also contracts with Lastpass and as a course manager, I cannot upload any files using Chrome with Lastpass enabled. 

RobDitto
Community Champion

dschuma, based on what all parties have recently stated, the simpler fix will be for LastPass to make a change to their Chrome extension.  Unfortunately there is no ETA.

I'd encourage any institutions reading this page, if your institution is also a LastPass customer, to make noise!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, based on Lastpass's forum, their January Chrome update has caused a host of issues across different sites, so my attention will now be on bugging them.

RobDitto
Community Champion

Ashley, in which contexts can you not upload files? It seemed that as a Course Manager, you might be seeing problems elsewhere than in student assignment submission.

Also try uninstalling the LastPass extension and then installing the new version from the Chrome Web Store (see my comment below).

RobDitto
Community Champion

Our institution just received word from LogMeIn (parent of LastPass) that Chrome extension version 4.1.40 resolves the student assignment submission conflict with Canvas. I just tested this new version, and it does solve the problem.

I want to encourage others to post here if they see any other Canvas file upload issues with LastPass 4.1.40 and above.

View solution in original post