Late Assignment Penalty Retro-Affect Correction

Jump to solution
WilliamJohnson
Community Member

High School teacher here- A couple of days ago I implemented a late penalty into Canvas. What I didn't realize was this new action would "retro-affect" previously submitted assignments. I've gone back in and removed the penalty designation in the system, but the grades retro-affected by the penalty have remained. How do I return the grades back to their "pre-penalty" status? I have students who had A's and B's in the class now with F's... nightmare.

I've also gone into a few assignments and changed the due dates in hopes that would eliminate the problem, but problem still exists. Plus, those assignments I changed due dates on are no longer showing up on the "Grades" overview. Any idea where they went? 

I'm afraid to do anything else in fear I'll keep screwing things up!

HELP!!!

0 Likes
1 Solution
kona
Community Champion

Greetings! I did some research to double-check and on the following guide How do I apply a Late Submission policy in the Gradebook? - it notes that, "to exclude a specific assignment, mark the submission as something other than Late in the Grade Detail Tray." Yet, to fix this, you'll need to adjust it for every assignment submission that was marked late. So for one assignment, you'd need to go through and fix it for each student that was late. For more on this, scroll down on the guide to "View Grade Detail Tray." It shows and explains a bit more about how changing it from "late" to "none."

As for the missing assignments, changing the due date shouldn't remove the assignment from showing up on Grades. I'd try backtracking and try to un-do what you did when you changed the due date. My guess is that you might have accidentally changed something else. Or, you accidentally changed the view of your Grades page somehow. This is kind of hard to trouble-shoot without actually being in your course and seeing what is happening. 

Hope some of this helps! Kona

View solution in original post