Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
castrohyrums
Community Member

Limit file upload and View only feature

Aloha,

I just want to ask if it is possible to:

• Limit the students to only allow one file upload in the assignments, and
  • View an Excel-based test in Canvas without allowing the students to download the Excel file?

Thank you!

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@castrohyrums , the only way to limit to one file upload is to use the upload file option in a quiz and set it to only allow one quiz submission. This is a workaround though and you wouldn’t have the handy Speedgrader tools you normally would for an actual assignment.  

As for the excel part of your question, I’m not sure I understand what you want students to be able to view without downloading. An excel file? If you could provide more information bout what you are wanting we might be able to help with this. 

Kona

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @castrohyrums ,

I wanted to follow up on  @kona 's second part. Could you please provide us some additional detail on what you asre trying to achieve with the Excel file and we will see what we can do to help you.

Cheers,
Stuart

Hi Stuart, 

I would just like to know if there is a way in Canvas where:

- students can do a "view only" on their Excel exam file, and

- students should not be able to download that Excel exam file

We would like to have this option so that students can view their work, but at the same time they can't download it so that teachers can still reuse the Excel exam for the next semesters. 

Cheers,

Hyrum

Hi  @castrohyrums ,

That makes sense thank you for that. Natively within Canvas I don't believe there is any way to present files in such a way without permitting download of them. I have even pondered PDFs but the result would be the same, the students could download.

I would also highlight that anything that is displayed on screen, could have screenshots taken, if there are formulas, doing so on a cell by cell basis would be difficult, though not impossible. If it is simply a layout of information with no formulas, a screenshot would be quite easy.

I am going to share this with the Instructional Designers group as I am hoping they may have some additional insights that could assist you, and provide some ideas on how you might achieve this.

I hope that helps!

Stuart

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@castrohyrums ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie