cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lyonc
Community Member

Limit student interactions within a course

Jump to solution

Is anyone aware of a feature that limits student interaction within a course? Looking to only have student-instructor interaction.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@lyonc ‌, hide the People link in the course, don't use discussions, don't use announcements, and talk to the Canvas Admin at your school about removing the ability for students to message each other in the Canvas Inbox. Doing all of these things should make it so students don't see or interact with each other. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@lyonc ‌, hide the People link in the course, don't use discussions, don't use announcements, and talk to the Canvas Admin at your school about removing the ability for students to message each other in the Canvas Inbox. Doing all of these things should make it so students don't see or interact with each other. 

View solution in original post

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

Hi  @lyonc ‌ I am curious about the context: what kind of course are you teaching where it's better to have no student interaction?

I ask just because I take an opposite approach, and one of my biggest complaints about Canvas is that it does not have enough good tools to promote student interaction.

lyonc
Community Member

I'm the admin for the district researching this for a teacher. I can't find a setting for Inbox

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

This isn't a course setting, but rather an account role permission setting. To see where to find this go to the Admin side of Canvas, click on Permissions, and under Permissions you'll see "Send messages to individual course members" and "Send messages to the entire class."

For this if you change it for the Student role then no students would be able to do this in any of your Canvas courses. Depending on how you have things set-up at your school you could create a custom role for this specific teacher's students that didn't allow these permissions.