cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matt6
Community Participant

Limiting Full Name Access

Referencing this:  How do I change the settings in my user account as a student? 

In our system Full Name, holds a students legal name.   Short Name holds a students preferred name.  Due to some privacy concerns, especially around gender privacy issues we are trying to limit legal name to faculty eyes only, and especially do not want areas where other students can see both legal and preferred names.

Unfortunately "Full Name" is being used in People and Chat.   While we could probably disable People and make up our own displayed roster if needed for student view, Chat however is used heavily enough to not be able to remove and uses Full Name.    Why this doesn't follow the same rule for displaying name as Discussions and Conversations I have no idea.   Has anyone come across this?  If so what have you done?  Also would anyone see an issue if Chat was changed to show "Display Name" instead of Full?

5 Replies
nr2522
Community Champion

Hello,  @matt6 ‌.

Is there any reason you need legal name in Canvas at all? At Columbia, we use legal name only in those systems that absolutely require it, SIS plus those that involve legal documentation or communication with external federal entities, mostly. FAQ for Columbia’s Preferred Name Policy | Office of the University Registrar. For Canvas, we feed the preferred name only.

Perhaps whoever is in charge of such matters at Temple, needs to reconsider why legal name is being fed to Canvas and adjust the policy and process.

Best regards,

Nelson

matt6
Community Participant

I agree.  This is definitely something I'm going to get in a dialogue with the policy makers about.   I do still have a question though as to why every other interaction uses display name but Chat uses Full.  It seems to be an oversight when it comes to consistency as in regards to functionality. 

nr2522
Community Champion

I'm afraid I don't have answer to that question. I did find a feature idea that you might want to vote on: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12761-use-display-name-for-everyone-except-teacher-or-admin" m....

tdelillo
Community Champion

I'd guess that Chat is different because technically it's an integration, not native Canvas functionality. But I agree that it's an inconsistency that should be looked at.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there  @matt6 ...

I'm reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since  @tdelillo 's response on March 4, 2019.  Have you had an opportunity to review all the feedback that you've received.  Were you able to talk with people at your school about the student name issues you've described above?  Do you feel that one of the above replies (including your own) has helped to answer your question?  If so, please feel free an click the "Mark Correct" button next to someone's response.  Or, if you are still looking for help, please let us know that as well.  Or, if you were able to find a solution on your own since March, please let us know the outcome of that, too.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...mainly because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over six months.  However, that will not prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Matthew.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.