cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tross
Community Champion

Limits on Insights

Jump to solution

Is there a limit on how many students you see on the Insights list.   I have students that are not showing up and trying to find out why the student isn't showing for me to check.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @tross ...

I don't *think* there are any limits on the number of students that can be displayed on the "Insights" tab of a Studio video.  For example, in my own Studio profile, I have a video where 98 people are listed.  Do you know for certain that your students have actually viewed the video?  They may not show up in "Insights" until they've actually started to view the video.  Also, are you selecting the proper course from the drop-down list right above the "Insights" tab?  See the "Select Course" section in this Guide: How do I view user insights and analytics for medi... - Canvas Community.

I hope this will help a bit.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @tross ...

I don't *think* there are any limits on the number of students that can be displayed on the "Insights" tab of a Studio video.  For example, in my own Studio profile, I have a video where 98 people are listed.  Do you know for certain that your students have actually viewed the video?  They may not show up in "Insights" until they've actually started to view the video.  Also, are you selecting the proper course from the drop-down list right above the "Insights" tab?  See the "Select Course" section in this Guide: How do I view user insights and analytics for medi... - Canvas Community.

I hope this will help a bit.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post

GeogShark
Community Participant

As I, and others, have posted here (search "Studio Insight"), there seem to be problems with the accuracy of this feature.  I wish someone with knowledge about its functionality would explain why sometimes, a student watches the video and is not recorded as having done so.  I am *still* attempting to use this to track participation for credit in my online classes and it's very tedious given the software limitations.

Hello there, @GeogShark ...

Have you been able to find any solutions to your question?  Have you reached out to Canvas Support to see if they might be able to shed any light on why you might not be seeing some students in the "Insights" section of Studio videos?  I'd be interested in hearing what you may have figured out since your posting in March 2021.

GeogShark
Community Participant

No, I never heard from anyone.  I thought -- perhaps mistakenly -- that posting here copied in Canvas Support people.  I'm still stumped as to why this happened.  And, I do continue to wish Canvas would make this "Insights" feature more robust such that if a student has watched ALL of a video, there's a simple check box (or the like).  It's extremely time-consuming on my part to have to click on every students name and scan the entire progress bar to see if they've watched a lecture video for the purpose of awarding participation points in an online class.  In cases where a student has watched less than the entire video, I'd still like the ability to view how much they watched, where they skipped portions, etc.

Hello there, @GeogShark ...

Posting questions here in the Community is not the same as contacting Canvas Support.  When you contact Canvas Support, you case is logged, and a ticket number is created for you.  That functionality doesn't exist here in the Community website.  I also don't believe that Canvas Support folks are active here in the Community...as they are busy helping individuals with support tickets.

It sounds like you'd like to see an enhancement to Canvas Studio.  If that is the case, then I would suggest that you consider creating a new Feature Idea here in the Community so that fellow Community members can review and evaluate it...in case it is something they would also like to see implemented by Instructure.  Here are some Guides to get you started:

Hopefully these Guides will be of some help to you.  Take care...