cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macaulayl
Community Member

Link to Specific Module in Left Course Nav?

We previously were a Blackboard school and one of the things that is missing in Canvas is the ability to add a link to the course left nav that links to a specific module.  I have a faculty member that would like there to be links in the left nave to each weekly module and I can't figure out any way to do this.  The only work around is that I suggested she move the active module to the top of the modules page each week so students don't have to scroll and also showed her how to minimize modules so that less scrolling is needed as course progresses.  Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

macaulayl, greetings you can actually do this in Canvas!

In the legacy RCE you can use these directions - How do I insert links to course content into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector as a... (then click on Modules and you can select a specific Module).

In the new RCE you can use these directions - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18370-41521153865 (same as above, just make sure to click on Modules to select the specific Module you want).

Hope this helps! Kona

0 Kudos
alunsfor
Advocate

Linda,

What I have done with my teachers is I have them create a Module Overview page for the module and place that at the beginning of the module.  Then they go in to Settings  for the course and APPS and find the Redirect tool.  Using the Redirect tool the teacher is able to name the link Module 1 and then paste the link to the module overview page.  The teacher can then add that link to the Course Navigation menu in the course.  By then using the Navigation tab under settings the teacher can move those links up to where the students can find them when needed.

Hope that helps!  Aaron

0 Kudos

macaulayl...

I was also going to suggest maybe trying the Redirect Tool LTI, but keep in mind that you would need to update the link every semester/term to point to the new course content...as I've seen posting here in the Community where the links in the Redirect Tool do not update upon a course import.

I hope this extra bit of information is helpful to you, Linda.

0 Kudos