Link to an object in another course

Jump to solution
corellie
Community Explorer

I have a page in one course that I want to LINK to my other courses (so if I edit it, all courses see the latest edits).  I DONT want to copy it.  Ditto with a file.  Or an Announcement.  Any object.  It doesn't seem like Canvas will allow this (yes, links within a course are allowable).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
hechla
Community Participant

@corellie  You can do exactly what you proposed in your original post. It's not the greatest solution but it works. We have a "library" of documents that we link to from all of our courses. Not all the articles in the library are linked to in every course, but there's some articles linked in multiple courses. We decided to create a new course in Canvas for our "resource library" and we set the Visibility to Institution so anyone who can login to our instance can access these articles. And it works for us, for now. We are looking for a better solution because we want better analytics, search, and workflow/editing permissions, etc.  

The only time it's an issue is when we run the Link Validation in our courses. Anything that's linked to our library course comes back with a warning that "Links to other courses in this resource may not be accessible by the students in this course." But we know we can ignore those because those are all to our library course. We don't link to any other courses. 

View solution in original post