cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hodsagi
Community Participant

Linking an existing account to student account as observer

Jump to solution

My institution would like to use the "observer" role for giving mentors access to the course content, the coursework and grades of their students in all their courses. As far as I understand, this is exactly what the observer role is for. The observer guide explains that parents/mentors can sign up and link their accounts to a student, and that they can link further student accounts to their account. However, mentors in my institution can also be instructors in other courses, therefore their account already exists in Canvas. My question is whether admins can somehow link an existing account to student accounts as observer, and if so, how?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hodsagi
Community Participant

Yes, I did find a solution. It can be done via a CSV import. The format of the CSV is as follows:

"Required Fields*

• *observer_id: This is the unique identifier of the observer.
  • *student_id: This is the unique identifier of the student.
  • *status: This is the status of the observer. Mark as active to enroll the observer for each of the student's enrollments or deleted to remove all the observer's enrollments."

You can find an example CSV here (user_observers.csv)

View solution in original post

10 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @hodsagi 

User roles in Canvas are course-specific, rather than a "global role", as one might expect in many systems. This has advantages and disadvantages.

You can enroll any user into any course as an Observer, then select who they are observing.

• Enroll user into course as an Observer,
  • Once the user is enrolled, click the gear icon to the right of the user's name and select "Link to Students",
  • Follow the prompts in the wizard to select the student(s) assigned to the observer.

Nope, I could not find this in the Guides either!

I hope this helps,

Kelley

hodsagi
Community Participant

Dear Kelley,

thanks for the prompt reply. I understand how the course-specific observer role works. However, I also found in the observer guide that "Depending on the instutition, observers can have different levels of access. An observer can be linked to a student and given access to all of a student's current, past, and future courses." This is exactly what I am looking for, granting access to all of a student's current, past and future courses. The guide later explains that parents/mentors can sign up as an observer and create a new account which then will be linked to the student, however, what I would like to have is an option to link already existing accounts to students.

Best,

János

tross
Community Champion

That will depend on how your institution is setup.  We don't allow anyone to self sign-up to observe.  If your does, you will need to know the student's login and password to be able to connect to the student.

hodsagi
Community Participant

Yes, I know that self-enrolment as an observer requires the student's login and password and that it depends on how the institution is set up. What I am looking for is still whether admins can link already existing accounts to students as observers.

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@hodsagi ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

tross
Community Champion

Just thought of this when I saw  @Robbie_Grant 's note.  You could create an observer file for just that observer and student and then use the sis import to create the link.

hodsagi
Community Participant

Sure, this is resolved.

jcrawford
Community Contributor

Did you actually find a way to do this?  I have the exact same scenario I am trying to work through right now...

hodsagi
Community Participant

Yes, I did find a solution. It can be done via a CSV import. The format of the CSV is as follows:

"Required Fields*

• *observer_id: This is the unique identifier of the observer.
  • *student_id: This is the unique identifier of the student.
  • *status: This is the status of the observer. Mark as active to enroll the observer for each of the student's enrollments or deleted to remove all the observer's enrollments."

You can find an example CSV here (user_observers.csv)

View solution in original post