Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacqueline_smit
Community Member

Linking two discussion sections?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have one lecture class that is broken into two different sections on canvas. I was wondering if anyone knows of  an easy way to link discussion sections so that my students can upload and share materials for a final project.

- Thanks!

Jacqueline

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello Deactivated user​...

I spent a few moments chatting online with mvaladez​ from the Canvas help desk, and here are my thoughts after our conversation:

• Option 1: If you cross-listed your two course sections, that would essentially put all students from both sections into one section so that they could share materials.  However, I'm not sure if you'd want to cross-list an entire course just to try and combine/link discussion topics.  Here are a couple Guides for you on cross-listing: How does cross-listing work in Canvas? and How do I cross-list a section?
  • Option 2: Have you considered creating a Group at the Account level?  You'd need one of your Canvas admins to create an Account level Group for you, but this would allow you to have all students from both of your sections in the same Group, and you could be the "Leader" of that Group.  Account level groups live outside of any Canvas course (they aren't tied to a course).  Here are a couple more Guides to help you: How do I create groups at the account-level? and How do I create a new group set at the account-level? These Account level groups include many of the same course features like Announcements, Pages, People, Discussions, Files, Conferences, and Collaborations.

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello Deactivated user​...

I spent a few moments chatting online with mvaladez​ from the Canvas help desk, and here are my thoughts after our conversation:

• Option 1: If you cross-listed your two course sections, that would essentially put all students from both sections into one section so that they could share materials.  However, I'm not sure if you'd want to cross-list an entire course just to try and combine/link discussion topics.  Here are a couple Guides for you on cross-listing: How does cross-listing work in Canvas? and How do I cross-list a section?
  • Option 2: Have you considered creating a Group at the Account level?  You'd need one of your Canvas admins to create an Account level Group for you, but this would allow you to have all students from both of your sections in the same Group, and you could be the "Leader" of that Group.  Account level groups live outside of any Canvas course (they aren't tied to a course).  Here are a couple more Guides to help you: How do I create groups at the account-level? and How do I create a new group set at the account-level? These Account level groups include many of the same course features like Announcements, Pages, People, Discussions, Files, Conferences, and Collaborations.

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I think  @chofer ​ offered some good suggestions, but if none of these will work another option is to use Google Drive. You could set-up a folder and documents for your students to collaborate on (both sections) and then provide the link to these resources via Canvas.