cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chastinec
Community Contributor

Login to mobile app using alt login for SAML/SSO school

Jump to solution

Our institution uses SAML/SSO Login authentication. When logging into the Canvas Mobile app(s), it automatically redirects to the SAML/SSO login page. However, we also have several accounts that are still on the Canvas Login/Authentication. On the computer they just use an alternate (bypass) link (i.e. URL/login/canvas). 

My question: Is it possible for these users to use the mobile apps? What would the users need to do to have the app to look for the Canvas Credentials instead of automatically going to the SAML/SSO login page? 

(NOTE: I tried entering the full URL/login/canvas in the box instead of searching for our institution but it did not work)

Thank you,

C

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

chastinec‌, 

I think you need to know about a lesser known feature of the app that's been around for years. 

If you open the Canvas Teacher or Canvas Student app and tap twice with two fingers (spread apart) anywhere on the login screen it will cycle the login type between regular login, Canvas Login, and Site Admin login. Just keep tapping until you see Canvas Login. This will go around your SSO and let you use manually created users. 

273254_pastedImage_5.jpg

Let me know if this helps! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
rromano
Community Member

Interesting..have you tried adding a link to the Canvas login page (/login/canvas) on your SAML/SSO login page? Not sure if it'll work, but worth a shot?...

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

chastinec‌, 

I think you need to know about a lesser known feature of the app that's been around for years. 

If you open the Canvas Teacher or Canvas Student app and tap twice with two fingers (spread apart) anywhere on the login screen it will cycle the login type between regular login, Canvas Login, and Site Admin login. Just keep tapping until you see Canvas Login. This will go around your SSO and let you use manually created users. 

273254_pastedImage_5.jpg

Let me know if this helps! 

View solution in original post

chastinec
Community Contributor

Oh, Wow....thanks worked perfectly thanks!

chastinec
Community Contributor

Thanks for your reply....but our sso page is for just about everything at the institution so I don't think we have enough of those kinds of users for it to justify to our IT area change the page. 

Great! I'm glad to hear that. It's not well published, probably for some security reasons, but it's there. 

Does this still work for you two years later? It doesn't seem to work for me.

Perhaps they just changed how it works. I don't see the extra "Canvas Login" button, but perhaps the behavior of the following page (after clicking "Find my School") changes instead.

@Tasha_Biesinger ,

The behavior hasn't changed. The "Canvas Login" text isn't actually a button, it just lets the user know the login path has changed. You simply do the same tap and then use "Find My School" to log in. All this switch does is sets up the Find my school function to call a different login URL.