cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
natalie_hebshie
Community Participant

Longdesc tags in Canvas

Has anyone started using longdesc attribute in the Canvas Rich Text Editor yet? If so, have you used them to link to content within the course? I saw that longdesc was whitelisted recently. I have a course that has a bunch of complex graphs that need longer descriptions. In the past, I've simply created a separate page in the Canvas course for the long description and created a link to it next to the image. If I were to start using the longdesc, I'm wondering how I should link to the Canvas page that includes the long description so that the links are relative and I don't need to update the code when I import the course in the future. I can't seem to find any documentation about how to format relative links in Canvas. My guess is longdesc="/pages/pagename" but I'm not sure. I'll also submit a ticket but I figured I'd ask here as well.

Thanks!

Natalie

3 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi natalie_hebshie,

I wanted to check in as I noted that your question seems to have the community a little stumped. I am sure by now you will have found a possible solution or workaround through some of your own additional sleuthing? If not, do you still need assistance with this (please let us know, we are always happy to help)!

If you did find a solution that solved this, it would be great to hear from you how you did (as this will help anyone else that finds your question in future).

Cheers,
Stuart 

Hi! Thanks for your comment. From what I recall, I did a rest of this by adding a longdesc tag to a page within a Canvas course and then imported the coruse. I tried using different formats but the import tool was not smart enough to update the url/page link within the longdesc tag. I did submit a ticket and have a vague recollection that it got fixed but I have not had a chance to test it yet. I do have a bunch of new images that need long descriptions for some new online courses so I will try to get a definitive answer and report back.

Hello there, natalie_hebshie Thank You for posting an update back in January for us.  I've been reviewing older questions here in the Community, and I wanted to check in to see if you've had a chance to do your testing since your reply on January 16th.  If you have, would you be willing to share your findings back here in this topic with us?  Or, if you're still looking for some assistance from Community members, please let us know that as well.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" simply because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for a couple months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Natalie.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.