cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cunninghama
Community Participant

Looking for Apps to assist ESL / ELL students

I have a teacher who would like to put her text on a Canvas assignment.  She would like to add audio of herself reading each paragraph (that doesn't take them to an external link) and would also like to define some words within to document (I'm thinking like a pop-up definition when they hover over a word).  I've looked for apps to integrate into Canvas that will help her do this but can't find any.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

5 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @cunninghama ‌

If you are looking for APPs in general, here are a couple great places to start:

If you are looking for LTI tools that integrate with Canvas, and other tips and discussions:

I hope some of this helps,

Kelley

tross
Community Champion

We do a similar thing for Oral Assessments.  We use the Canvas recording function so the media is completely in Canvas.  We have HTML code that will do the popup.  Quite a bit of work to create the text that way.  We are hoping at some point those functions get included in the product.

cunninghama
Community Participant

I'll have to look into the HTML code. Thanks!

Abby Cunningham | Math Teacher and Instructional Coach

515-633-4500 | cunninghama@wdmcs.org

cunninghama
Community Participant

Thanks so much! I think Nearpod will work well for what she's trying to do.

Abby Cunningham | Math Teacher and Instructional Coach

515-633-4500 | cunninghama@wdmcs.org

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 11:16 AM, stefaniesanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @cunninghama  ~ I hope that the replies from Kelley and Teri have been helpful! Integrating tools to help support those with varying levels of literacy skills is such an important topic. Because your question may not necessarily have one "correct" answer, I have changed your posting from a "Question" to a "Discussion."  I hope this is okay with you. I look forward to seeing how this conversation advances, and I hope other K-12 Users can join in. Smiley Happy