Degraded AWS performance is currently impacting some Canvas users in the North American region. Check Canvas Status for updates.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kevin_W
Community Contributor

Looking for a GPA Calculator

Jump to solution

I recently had a counselor come to me with a need for a GPA calculator that students could input up to 5 courses into to calculate their GPA.

Has anyone had any experience with a solid GPA calculator? 

I would be nice to find one that integrates with Canvas. 

It would be better if there was a Global GPA add-on (account-level) that could be turned on.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tbunag
Community Champion

Maybe the one at Wolfram Alpha if you want it embedded, Wolfram|Alpha Widgets: "GPA Calculator" - Free none Widget ?  If you want one that is more aesthetically pleasing and includes prompts on how to improve GPA, 5 Websites (GPA Calculator) To Calculate GPA Online For Free .

View solution in original post

6 Replies
tbunag
Community Champion

Do you want it to auto-generate the GPA, pulling the grades from courses automatically, or would it be okay for students to input their grades to check their GPA themselves?

If you want students to be able to input the GPA, there are a number of tools that can be embedded into Canvas to do this (I found a ton with a quick Google search). 

If you want student grades to be pulled into a tool automatically, that gets much harder to set up and integrate.  Plus, you would need to be very sure about how the 3rd party tool is using that data.  There also might be challenges with proper weighting of the GPA, since the number of credits vary by course, and I'm not sure that data is reflected in Canvas directly.

Kevin_W
Community Contributor

Thanks,  @tbunag ! It would be easier - and less hassle - for the students to upload their own courses. 

Any specific tool recommendations? 

tbunag
Community Champion

Maybe the one at Wolfram Alpha if you want it embedded, Wolfram|Alpha Widgets: "GPA Calculator" - Free none Widget ?  If you want one that is more aesthetically pleasing and includes prompts on how to improve GPA, 5 Websites (GPA Calculator) To Calculate GPA Online For Free .

View solution in original post

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@Kevin_W ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Kevin_W
Community Contributor

Hi  @Robbie_Grant ! I was unable to embed the wolfram calculator into a content page...the embed code provided would not work. Still a helpful thread though in pointing me in the correct direction in assisting my faculty! 

Community Member

I think having a Caspa GPA Calculator bookmarked in your browser is a blessing. A friend of mine has it and it helps him calculate his GPA instantly. And seeing that, I thought I should have it too and hence I find myself here. I hope it’s the right tool though.