cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julie3
Community Participant

Looking for a template for a canvas course

I know I have seen Canvas course templates to import and create a new course, but cannot find where they are. Will you please direct me?

Tags (1)
12 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @julie3 .  Have you used the Canvas Commons before?  I have utilized this a number of times to find great resources and checking quickly there appear to be many course templates that you can download and use. Here are a few useful documents about Commons.

What is Canvas Commons? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11177-38287725291?sr=search&searchId=298bc2e1-a135-4e24-b38... 

I hope this is helpful and good luck!

julie3
Community Participant

Yes, I have used it, in fact last fall I was able to find a template and used if this year, Now I cannot find it, or other ones. I have searched using “Course template” and many entries come up, but they seem only to be inquiries similar to mine or other questions dealing with “using” the templates. Can you direct me a little further where you are seeing the templates?

Thanks,

Julie

Hi  @julie3 , you might take a look at this question and see if these sample courses are what you are referring to.  If so, the response by  @Renee_Carney  will explain what happened to the Canvas Resources space. 

Missing Sample Courses 

Does this answer your question?

All the best!

julie3
Community Participant

I saw those guides yesterday, thank you. I know how to create a course, but I am under the gun to get one created in a couple of weeks and wanted to copy a course and then change the assignments and dates to match what I need. In these links I see no course templates to copy. Am I missing something?

julie3
Community Participant

I saw those guides yesterday, thank you. I know how to create a course, but I am under the gun to get one created in a couple of weeks and wanted to copy a course and then change the assignments and dates to match what I need. In these links I see no course templates to copy. Am I missing something?

Hi  @julie3 .  While there are some links to guides here, Missing Sample Courses, I wanted to bring your attention to this portion of the post, 

"The Canvas Resources space of the community served an early need to house a small handful of orientation courses and samples. Since the space was originally created, our community has made many advancements in sharing content, and this space has become outdated. We plan to dissolve this space, but we won’t leave you without resources."

So if you are looking for a template that was once in the Canvas Resources space, those are no longer available.

You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you used one of the templates this year. Just to clarify, copying that course and making adjustments as described here, How do I copy content from another Canvas course?, isn't an option correct?  If copying your other course would work, that may be the easiest way to get the templated material you downloaded previously.

Out of curiosity I checked the Canvas Commons and found the following when searching for "course template"...

272815_pastedImage_4.png

Over 2,000 resources is a lot, but glancing through a few of the descriptions it sounds like they may be a great place to begin if any appear to fit your general course structure.

Some institutions don't have Canvas Commons enabled within the global navigation window as shown below in our instance. 

272852_pastedImage_5.png

If this is the case you could talk to your Canvas administrator about whether this could be enabled, or you could sign up for a Free For Teachers account (Create a Canvas Account ) access the Canvas Commons this way.

I hope this helps!

Hi  @julie3 .  It has been a couple of days since we discussed about course templates.  I remember you are working on a time timeline, so thought I would check back in and see if you found a template in the Canvas Commons or if you thought that copying one of your existing courses may work.

All the best---

julie3
Community Participant

I copied an old one I had. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone www.mormon.org/me/3V83

I'm gad to hear that Julie.  Best wishes in getting the course up and going!