cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
n_a_young
Community Member

Loss of synchronisation of audio and video when podcasts imported into Canvas.

I have a large number of podcasts I wanted to make available on Canvas, which were originally mounted on a previous VLE. These have the audio synchronised with powerpoint slides using ProfCast and there has never been a problem when I had saved them in .m4b format previously. Canvas only recognises the .m4b as an audio file and does not display the video component. I then started to convert them to either .m4v or .mov format, and whilst these play back in fine Quicktime, or Windows media player, but after being imported into Canvas there is a loss of synchronisation between the audio and video so that the slides are no longer synchronised with the audio. This makes them pretty useless for teaching purposes. I think Canvas converts the files into its own (or someone else's) format as there is a delay between uploading and being able to access the files. Is there anyway to stop Canvas auto-recognising the filetypes so that students could play the files using the player of their choice, rather than the Canvas player. Or any other ideas about this loss of synchronisation?

Many thanks

Nigel Young

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @n_a_young ​...

Have you considered uploading the vodcasts (video podcasts) to a YouTube account?  If you do that, then you could see if the audio/video syncs properly there, too.  Then, you could embed the videos in your Canvas course.

Interested in hearing back from you on this one...

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@n_a_young ​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

I have the same problem.  I have .mp4 files that play perfectly on my computer and on YouTube.  When I upload the .mp4 files to Canvas and then watch them, the audio and visual gradually get out of synchronization. The lack of synchronization is unacceptable.  Unfortunately, I do not have the option of linking to YouTube from Canvas.   PLEASE HELP SOON.  Thank you!

I have the same issue with some of my videos. I imported them into studio after reviewing them. They start out fine then slowly get out of sync. If I pause the playback or just rewind or fast forward by a couple of seconds it then gets back in sync. Very strange but a big issue.