cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmlandry
Community Participant

Lost Whole Course

Jump to solution

Need help restoring a course. I tried cross-listing to bring a student list into a new course. It brought them in but the prior course is entirely missing. Everything I can find in help says to contact someone as it may be recoverable. Any way of recovering the course?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@tmlandry ‌, your last resort would be to try the test instance, as it is overwritten less frequently https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26546-how-do-i-access-the-canvas-test-environment-as-an-ins... 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @tmlandry ...

When you cross-list two courses in Canvas, it moves all the enrollments over from one course to another.  For example, you could cross-list course A and course B together so that all enrollments from both courses fed into course A.  If there was any content in course B, that content does not move to course A.  Only the enrollments (instructors and students) move during a cross-list.  You should be able to see all enrollments from both courses in the "People" page of course A.  Is there any reason that you'd need to access course B after the cross-list occurs?  Since there wouldn't be any enrollments in course B any more, there's really not a reason to use that course any more.  How do I cross-list a section in a course as an instructor?

If you wanted to de-cross-list these two courses (which would move the enrollments back to their original courses), then you can use this Guide: How do I de-cross-list a section in a course as an instructor?.

I hope these Guides will be of help to you, Teresa.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this.  Stay safe, and be well.

tmlandry
Community Participant

I do need the prior course content back. I guess I was rushing too much and misunderstood what cross-listing was meant for. My intention was to find a quick way to bring all the students from one course to the next level course. Now I am missing all the content for the prior course which was a LOT of work. Is there any way tor retrieve the content? Plus, I can't de-cross list because the previous course appears gone, nothing there when I search either to decross list into.

Hello again,  @tmlandry ...

You may need to reach out to your school's local Canvas administrator or someone from your schools Online Learning/eLearning department to get further help with this issue.  I searched your school's website, and I found the following page that might be of help to you: IT and Facilities Help Desk | San Joaquin Delta College (this page was linked off of your Canvas login page).  Hopefully, someone at your school will be able to help you de-cross-list your two courses so that you can see the content in both.  Good luck!

tmlandry
Community Participant

This is not the same Delta College. I work in Baton Rouge, LA and not affiliated with this one. Our college is small and admin is not on Canvas.

@tmlandry ...

Many apologies.  I see that your domain is deltacollege.com rather than deltacollege.edu.  You said that your admin is not on Canvas.  Are you using Free for Teachers version of Canvas?  If not, then you would have to have at least one Canvas admin at your school who can access the back-end of Canvas to set up courses, run reports, and a host of other things available at the admin level.

@tmlandry ‌, in the event you are using a Free For Teachers (FFT) account, you won't be able to contact an admin, as there is no admin functionality available in FFT. If that is that case, you might be able to recover most, if not all, of the course content by logging into the beta instance and creating a course export package from there, then leaving the beta environment to import the .imscc file into your live course.

Instructions are in:

How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor?

How do I export a Canvas course?

How do I import a Canvas course export package?

tmlandry
Community Participant

I am using free for teacher version and logged in to beta and still don't see the course to export.

@tmlandry ‌, your last resort would be to try the test instance, as it is overwritten less frequently https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26546-how-do-i-access-the-canvas-test-environment-as-an-ins... 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
tmlandry
Community Participant

YES!!! This worked! Thank you so much for all your help! This saved me 5 weeks worth of time.

Much gratitude,

Teresa