Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

M. Bonner - Book Study/PD

Hi Community Friends!

While I attended instcon‌ remotely, I heard amazing things about Michael Bonner Keynote‌. In the few short days since, I purchased his book Get Up or Give Up. I'd love to have some reading buddies (see the reference: Here's to Fall... and Professional Growth‌) to hold me accountable.

Is anyone interested in reading Get Up or Give Up with other Community members?

If there's enough interest, I would find a way to break the book into doable segments. I would then create a Canvas Course to house the discussions. We can toss in some social media if that would increase engagement as well.

All of this is a new idea and needs some fine-tuning, yes. However, I thought I'd post the question before I convinced myself that I "didn't have time" to do anything extra as we head back to school. Smiley Happy

40 Replies
laurakgibbs
Community Champion

YES YES YES: I thought it was a fantastic book, with valuable insights for all. It's not a long book, and it is a wonderful read. Very well organized, with a good balance between Michael Bonner's own experiences (as both student and teacher), and his teaching practices.

He even has questions for us to think about at the back of the book; I copied those out here:

Challenges from Michael Bonner: InstCon Remote Control 

I am sooooooooo up for this!!!!!!!!!! And he's active at Twitter, so I'm pretty sure he would respond to questions we might have too! And since the book is available as a Kindle, it's easy to snag a copy and plunge right in. 🙂

Michael Bonner book cover

csalaymeh
Community Member

Michael's keynote was so inspiring! I would definitely be interested in a book study together. Keep us posted!!

mjennings
Advocate

I would be up for it. Great idea!

lindalee
Advocate

Yes, please! Count me in.

bcrook
Advocate

Count me in!

ysmalls
Community Champion

Count me in too!  This would be so cool!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

This is awesome! We have a few people who have said "yes" via Twitter, but I want to get some initial thoughts on on things before I start overthinking format.

Since we all do 5,000 things a day (or at least it seems like that), I'd like the pacing to be semi-relaxed. I'd also like for this to be as collaborative as possible.

We can start on September 5 with introductions, and then set the goal of finishing the first set of pages on September 12. 

Here's what I'm thinking for a weekly pattern:

Read #-#, by Wednesday

Create questions Thursday

Propose 1-3 questions by Friday at 8am MST

Vote for top 3-5 discussion questions by Friday at 2pm MST

• I'll send out a poll/survey via Canvas Announcement
  • This will help us focus our energy and time

Discuss the most recent section and read the next section

OR!  ...If it's preferred, we can read one week, discuss the next, read one week, discuss the next, etc. If the overlap would be too much with other things in life, I want to be respectful of that!! 

Thanks so much for taking the lead on this,  @KristinL ‌! I really like the idea of voting on questions to help give people a focus each week, while allowing them to do the reading at whatever time is convenient to them. The book is a great read, very personable and friendly... no surprise! I'm really glad about getting to hear other people's thoughts and responses. 🙂

I would love to vote for #1, but realistically I think the second option is more in my favor.  Thank you for spearheading this  @KristinL ‌!!  Also, did everyone see this on twitter??

284366_Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 10.02.15 AM.png

beverly_gavin
Community Member

I really have a lot to do on my job, however, this speaker was so inspiring that I am willing to take the time to share and support this ideal.  Please count me in and thank you Kristin for starting this collaboration.

kimwithroder
Community Member

I'm in!  I think either option will work, but the second would be easier.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

I think it's time to make a decision!

Here's what we'll do:

Week of Sept 3 -- Read Chapters 1-3, Submit Questions by Friday 7pm MST, Vote on Topics by Sunday 7pm MST

Week of Sept 10 -- Discuss

Week of Sept 17 -- Read Chapters 4-6, Submit Questions by Friday 7pm MST, Vote on Topics by Sunday 7pm MST

Week of Sept 24 -- Discuss

Week of Oct 1 -- Read Chapters 7-9, Submit Questions by Friday 7pm MST, Vote on Topics by Sunday 7pm MST

Week of Oct 8 -- Discuss

Week of Oct 15 -- Wrap Up!

I want to leave the level of "mandatory" participation up to the individual participant. I won't put requirements on a number of posts, length, replies, etc. The point of this is to have people reading along with you, so it's easier to get through the book and you are guaranteed to have someone to share ideas with as you have lightbulb moments.

I will begin to create a course shell to house our discussions. There won't be much more than a module view and links to Michael Bonner's website.

Sound good?! 

Not just good: it sounds FABULOUS! Thank you so much for organizing this,  @KristinL ‌!!!

I forgot one more thing!! I'll embed a Twitter hashtag search. I'll think on that hashtag (we'll use it here for book groups in the future and on Twitter), and make sure everyone knows it with plenty of time. We can use Twitter for sharing big moments and personal takeaways. Smiley Happy

I will definitely be using Twitter to amplify the conversation too... especially since that is probably the best way to connect up with MIchael Bonner himself and his teacher network. 🙂

This is a great plan of action.

Just ordered my copy... very excited for this.  Thank you for setting this up, Kristin!

bcrook
Advocate

I love this group already Smiley Happy

snugent
Community Champion

I would love to do this!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Everyone! 

While I will take a bit to beautify the home page and establish the organization system, I wanted to make sure that everyone could enroll in the course! When it's ready to roll, I'll send everyone an announcement from the course, rather than relying on this discussion. Smiley Happy

https://klundstrum.instructure.com/enroll/763ND3

I clicked on the link & I am being asked for my email & password, which fails. Do I need to create an ID in this instance of Canvas first? If so, where/how can I do that?

Having the same issue  @KristinL ‌

0 Kudos

Me three!!

0 Kudos

@mjennings ‌,  @bcrook ‌, and  @lindalee ‌ -- Thanks for letting me know. I had to adjust some admin settings, but it should work now. Please let me know if that's not the case. 

I'm in. Thanks!!

ysmalls
Community Champion

@KristinL ,

I don't know what I'm missing...I have tried my personal email and my work email and I have tried both options new and already have and still can't get in Smiley Sad

laurakgibbs
Community Champion

I also was not able to get in; no error message -- the log-in screen just comes up again and again.

You gave me the thought of trying my other email, and I got the same result: for both my school email and my Gmail (which I would normally use for something like this), I was not able to enroll.

I would like to learn how this works since letting people self-enroll like this looks very handy! Is this an FFT course,  @KristinL ‌?

0 Kudos
ysmalls
Community Champion

Same here laurakgibbs!

ysmalls‌ and laurakgibbs‌, please send a direct message and include the email you'd like to use for the course! I'll add you manually. Smiley Happy

Hey @lindalee  ,

I can see your account in the People tab of Kristin's instance and it is saying you logged in last Thursday.  Are you still having trouble?

0 Kudos

All set! Thanks for asking,  @scottdennis 

Hey  @mjennings ,

I can see your account in the People tab of Kristin's instance and it is saying you logged in last Thursday.  Are you still having trouble?

0 Kudos

No I got in after she made the changes. Thanks for following up!!

Matthew

For 24/7 Canvas support call 1-855-778-9969

For 24/7 Citrix GoToMeeting/GoToTraining support call 1-888-259-8414

kevins
Community Member

This is amazing! We just ordered 12 copies of his book for our team that attended Instructurecon and this is a perfect opportunity to dive into the book with a community. I joined the course today and imagine a few more from Richmond Indiana will be as well! Thanks for putting his together!

That's wonderful!!

Kevin, is this the same 13 from Indiana that was walking with me?

0 Kudos
kevins
Community Member

Yes it is!!

Sent from my iPhone

kw691

I'd love to be part of this book study!

0 Kudos

Do I need to create a new account or do I click on already have access to Kristin's sandbox course?

0 Kudos