cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cmdesros
Community Member

Making Files available for download

Jump to solution

How do I make "Files" available to students to download?  I copied course content from a previous year, but the files are not available ("Files" is greyed out).  Although the Files link is grey, I am able to double click and view/download, but students cannot.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @cmdesros  Thank You for posting your question.  It sounds like you may not have enabled your "Files" course navigation button in your course.  To do enable this button (as well as enabled/disable other course buttons), please follow the steps outlined in this Guide: How do I manage Course Navigation links? 

I know that you didn't specifically ask about this, but there are other ways you can make your course files available to your students.  Sometimes instructors choose to keep the "Files" button hidden from students.  If an instructor does this, then that instructor creates links within the course pages pointing to those files so that students can download them as needed.  Even though the "Files" button is hidden, students can still download the file(s) from the course without issue.  Check out this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12991-415265829 

I hope this information will be of help to you, Colleen.  Please reach out to Community members if you have any additional questions for us!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @cmdesros  Thank You for posting your question.  It sounds like you may not have enabled your "Files" course navigation button in your course.  To do enable this button (as well as enabled/disable other course buttons), please follow the steps outlined in this Guide: How do I manage Course Navigation links? 

I know that you didn't specifically ask about this, but there are other ways you can make your course files available to your students.  Sometimes instructors choose to keep the "Files" button hidden from students.  If an instructor does this, then that instructor creates links within the course pages pointing to those files so that students can download them as needed.  Even though the "Files" button is hidden, students can still download the file(s) from the course without issue.  Check out this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12991-415265829 

I hope this information will be of help to you, Colleen.  Please reach out to Community members if you have any additional questions for us!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos