cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lrenfroe
Community Member

Making a course from last semester available to a student

Jump to solution

I had a student that experienced a medical emergency at the end of last semester.  I gave him an incomplete for the course because we only had two weeks left and he had almost finished the course.  Now he needs access to last semester's courses in order to finish the course.  How do I open the course back up for him?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Overall it depends on what is allowed at your Institution. At our Institution faculty can extend the end date of their courses (from the Course Settings) up until a certain point (about 3 weeks after the end of the semester). After that they have to contact us to open the course back up to students. Yet, some Institutions don't allow faculty to change course end dates at all and some always leave this available. My recommendation is to go to your course, click on Settings, and see if you can extend out the course end date. If you can then you should be good to go. If you can't then you'll need to contact Canvas Support/Canvas Admins at your Institution.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Overall it depends on what is allowed at your Institution. At our Institution faculty can extend the end date of their courses (from the Course Settings) up until a certain point (about 3 weeks after the end of the semester). After that they have to contact us to open the course back up to students. Yet, some Institutions don't allow faculty to change course end dates at all and some always leave this available. My recommendation is to go to your course, click on Settings, and see if you can extend out the course end date. If you can then you should be good to go. If you can't then you'll need to contact Canvas Support/Canvas Admins at your Institution.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

lrenfroe
Community Member

Thank you for your help!!

Lee

Lee G. Renfroe, Ed.D., CWC

Associate Professor in Health Promotion

University of North Alabama

Health, Physical Education and Recreation Department

UNA Box 5073

Florence, Alabama 35632