cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martha_hiestand
Community Member

Making a module visible to only one section

Jump to solution

Is there a way to make a module visible to just one section of a course? Because Canvas is set up to pull from our gradebook, I have one course with two sections. These two sections are my two classes. I know how to assign an assignment to just one section. But this year, we are starting a special project with just one class. I'd like to organize it into a module, but only want that class to see it. 

I hope this makes sense. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @martha_hiestand  Thank You for posting your question.  I don't believe this is possible.  I did some searching here in the Community looking for clues on this, and I came up with the following two links:

Section Specific Modules 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2541-module-access-to-specific-groups-sections-or-students 

This second link is a Feature Idea that is currently on Instructure's "Product Radar"...which means they are aware of the need, but they may not be able to implement such a feature in the near future.  However, please feel free to vote on that Feature Idea and then also add a comment explaining why it would be important to you.

Sorry that I don't have better news for you, Martha, but I hope this helps a bit.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @martha_hiestand  Thank You for posting your question.  I don't believe this is possible.  I did some searching here in the Community looking for clues on this, and I came up with the following two links:

Section Specific Modules 

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2541-module-access-to-specific-groups-sections-or-students 

This second link is a Feature Idea that is currently on Instructure's "Product Radar"...which means they are aware of the need, but they may not be able to implement such a feature in the near future.  However, please feel free to vote on that Feature Idea and then also add a comment explaining why it would be important to you.

Sorry that I don't have better news for you, Martha, but I hope this helps a bit.

View solution in original post

manels23
Community Member

I have the exact same issue as an instructor, and I am enrolled in a course with the exact same issue. It would be great, and probably a SUPER easy fix, to allow modules to be viewed by all sections or just certain sections within the same course.

burgerk
Community Participant

@chofer If Canvas cannot do this and you are unable to explain a silly workaround for the problem, then the OP's question was not satisfactorily answered nor was his/her problem "solved," so why in the *bleep* would you mark the question as being solved? NOTHING WAS SOLVED. YOU DID NOT SOLVE THE OP'S PROBLEM, SO YOU SHOULD NOT BE MARKING THE QUESTION AS SOLVED

It is also disingenuous to tell a user to submit a feature request or "vote" on a feature, because by "vote" you really mean "go beg for an obvious feature that should have been implemented in the first place to be implemented, but know that Instructure neither cares about, nor listens to, their users so there is not a snowball's chance in hell that your request or 'vote; will ever be implemented."

@manels23, you hit the nail on the head. It should be an extremely simple operation to specify that a module is available/visible to the students in one section and not the other. But, hearing that "Canvas cannot do that." is the most common response you will get from these people, and that is often followed up wiith another message which will tell you some idiotic non-obvious kludge to do what you are trying to do, although 90% of the time, these kludges also do not solve the problem.

In the end, we are repeatedly lied to and misled to believe that our "feature requests" will ever be implemented. They won't, so don't waste your time voting.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings @burgerk 

Let me begin by saying that I'm sorry you are so frustrated. It's ok to be frustrated in this Community, but it is not ok to take it out on other members (just like you) who are here to help.  Please make yourself familiar with our  Canvas Community guidelines? 

Also, I'm sorry if some things seem to read funny in this 2018 thread. In fall of 2020 we did a lift and shift of our Community from one software solution to the another. The previous system used terms like "answered" and "assumed answered" vs "solution". It doesn't change that a question got a correct answer, but it does read a lot differently when it says "solution", I would agree on that. I share that to say that Chris was not being overly aggressive to mark a question as solved - it was a product of our content migration. 

Idea conversations are a great way to get needs and use cases before our product team.  I can assure you that it's never a waste of time to share the problems you are trying to solve in that space. 

In the meantime, the ability to set a module to a section is not available, however you could assign an assignment or discussion to a course section that is a prereq to an entire module.  Then only that section would be able to unlock the module.