cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heidi_haug
Community Member

Making question banks from already made quizzes.

Jump to solution

Is it possible to make question banks from the questions I made for my weekly quizzes?  I do not have exam view or other software to make quizzes and tests for my courses.  I would like to culminate all of my quizzes into unit tests eventually.  Is this possible?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lse224
Community Champion

Yes, you can do this. When you create a question without adding it to a question group it puts it into a group called "Unfiled Questions" you may then move or copy it into another question bank.

Here are some tutorials to help you:

Creating a question bank: How do I create a Question Bank in my course? | Canvas Instructor Guide | Canvas Guides

Moving multiple questions: How do I move multiple questions from one question bank to another? | Canvas Instructor Guide | Canv...

Moving one question: https://guides.instructure.com/m/4152/l/50751-how-do-i-move-copy-a-question-from-one-question-bank-t...

I hope this helps.

-Lea

LEA SUSAN ENGLE, Training & Outreach Coordinator - Canvas

The University of Texas at Austin  |  Learning Sciences  |  canvas.utexas.edu/help

twitter: @UTCanvas

View solution in original post

4 Replies
lse224
Community Champion

Yes, you can do this. When you create a question without adding it to a question group it puts it into a group called "Unfiled Questions" you may then move or copy it into another question bank.

Here are some tutorials to help you:

Creating a question bank: How do I create a Question Bank in my course? | Canvas Instructor Guide | Canvas Guides

Moving multiple questions: How do I move multiple questions from one question bank to another? | Canvas Instructor Guide | Canv...

Moving one question: https://guides.instructure.com/m/4152/l/50751-how-do-i-move-copy-a-question-from-one-question-bank-t...

I hope this helps.

-Lea

LEA SUSAN ENGLE, Training & Outreach Coordinator - Canvas

The University of Texas at Austin  |  Learning Sciences  |  canvas.utexas.edu/help

twitter: @UTCanvas

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@heidi_haug , short answer is yes. Longer answer is that it's in your best interests in the future to create the questions in a bank and then copy or link them to your quizzes.

So back to the short yes answer. All questions you add to your quizzes (that you don't create as part of a question bank) are filed in a question bank called "Unfiled Questions." What this means is that when you go to create a Unit test you can technically add the unfiled questions from your question bank to the Unit Test. Yet, the unfiled questions are just that, unfiled and organized in alphabetical order by the title of the quiz question. What this means is that depending on how you named your questions it might be difficult to figure out which questions go with what.

To find your unfiled questions, go to Quizzes (the link on the left in your class), click on the gear icon in the right corner, and select "Manage Question banks." This is where you should be able to find your Unfiled Questions. Just click on the name "Unfiled Questions" and you'll see all of your questions. If you'd like to organize your unfiled questions into new/different banks to make your life easier, here are some guides that should help - How do I create a Question Bank in my course?, How do I move multiple questions from one question bank to another?, and How do I move/copy a question from one question bank to another?

When you are ready to create your Unit test here are some guides that should help - How do I create a Quiz by finding questions in a Question Bank? and How do I create a Quiz with a Question Group linked to a Question Bank?.

Hope all of this helps!

arovner
Community Contributor

Thanks  @kona ​!  This is just the answer my faculty member is looking for and I didn't want to have to spend too much of my precious InstCon time recreating this!  You saved me!  I hope to meet you while we're here!!

Best,

Amy

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Glad the information helped! Unfortunately I couldn't make it this year! I'm huge pregnant and that's not super conducive to traveling!