cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marie_hone
Community Member

Making the Shift to Canvas in a K-5 setting

I am helping the staff at my school get started with Canvas.  We are a K-5 school. I have encouraged all of them to complete our district's Canvas challenge course but want to give them something more.  What would you show them?  

Thoughts?

Thanks

Marie

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @marie_hone ...

I don't necessarily have an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that I am going to share your question with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/k12 group here in the Canvas Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you are not yet following this group, you can use the link that I've provided and then click on the "Follow" button found on the upper right corner of the page.  Also on that page, you'll find an "Actions" menu (near the "Follow" button) where you may need to select the "Join group" option.

Finally, I wanted to let you know that I'm going to change your Question into a Discussion.  Questions usually have a "Correct" answer, and "Discussions" are more open-ended and may have more than one way to accomplish the same thing.

I hope these things will be of help to you.  Good luck!

ysmalls
Community Champion

Hi  @marie_hone ,

It's been harder for my primary schools to adopt Canvas but I have found that showing them how to setup a homepage using graphics/buttons and such helps them out and letting them know to use the calendar as a student planner.  To start they use www.dabuttonfactory.com to build buttons, easy to use and free.  I do let them know that any discussion, assignment or quiz with a due data will display on the calendar but they seem to prefer to just add events.

I have had a few to like to use the Syllabus as the homepage, they add graphics/buttons and let the Syllabus build as they add assignments, discussion, quizzes and events to the calendar.

Hope this helped. 

sworrell
Community Participant

From the perspective of such young students, the UIs of any LMS can be confusing so I think a consistent appearance and structure is so important. 

Us teachers are notoriously independent and can be stubborn.  BUT, I feel the implementation of a required format (like modules, templated home page, colors, fonts, etc) is a must along with LMS navigation training for the students. Teachers might not like hearing that they have to lay out their courses in a certain way but it's necessary.

I have surveyed my high schoolers over the years about course navigation and ease of use and, repeatedly,  they say the fact that different teachers have different looking courses is confusing.