Managing Assignment Rubrics

Jump to solution
cholling
Community Champion

I'm trying to wrap my head around assignment rubrics. I can create and edit new ones. I know how to delete them. Maybe a bit about my background may impact this: I support many faculty; I create new rubrics in their courses sometimes. I create new rubrics in my own sandbox courses. I often import an existing course that belongs to a faculty into a sandbox course to test it. So I have access to rubrics I created and that some others created.

Here are my questions:

• In an assignment, when I add a rubric, I can create a new one or click Find a Rubric. When I "Find" a rubric, I get a very long list of rubrics. It seems that some of these were created by someone else. What is triggering them to show in my list? Do they also show in someone else's list?
  • At the top of the screen, if I click Manage Rubrics, it seems that it only shows me rubrics I created in that specific course; correct?
  • There are three rubrics in the course I'm working in (located in Manage Rubrics). One of them also appears in the long list of rubrics; the other two don't. Why?
  • If I wanted to attach one of the three rubrics located in Manage Rubrics to the assignment, there is no "go" "ok" "attach" type button anywhere -- how do I get it attache to the assignment.

Hope someone can help me figure this out -- it's probably really simple, but I'm just not getting what's happening "behind the scenes."

Thanks.

1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

cholling‌, I'll take a stab at your questions, keeping in mind that I'm guessing a bit, as some of what you've described might be a function of how your school has set up rubrics at the account level and what has been done in the course in the past.

• "Find a rubric" will reveal not only the rubrics that were created at the course level but also those that the school has made available for its instructors at the account level.
  • Yes, the instructor can only manage rubrics that are in the course itself (How do I manage rubrics in a course?). 
  • It's possible that the one rubric that appears both in the Manage Rubrics list and the Find a Rubric long list was already downloaded to the course.
  • The instructor adds the rubric to the assignment by clicking on the +Rubric button that appears on the page for the assignment, not from the Rubrics page (How do I add a rubric to an assignment?). Clicking on Use this Rubric is the last step in the process.

Does that help?

View solution in original post

0 Likes