cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbennett2
Community Champion

Manually add outcome to New Quizzes Assignment

This problem is stemming from New Quizzes not passing Outcome results back to the Learning Mastery Gradebook, which is documented in this issue.

One workaround would be to manually add a rubric to the quiz, like you can on Classic Quizzes. On the quiz overview page, you can use the three-dot menu and select Show Rubric and then Add Rubric. This allows you to manually score criteria in the SpeedGrader without aligning items in Question Banks.

I tried the same in New Quizzes and ran into a problem. Here are the steps:

1. Create a New Quiz and add questions, etc. 
  2. Return to the Assignments list.
  3. On the New Quiz item, three-dot menu, select Edit.
  4. Click on More Options to get to the overview page.
  5. Click +Rubric at the bottom.
  6. Click on Find Outcome to import an Outcome. There's an error thrown that the URL is not valid:
backbone.js:1595 Uncaught Error: A "url" property or function must be specified
at L (backbone.js:1595)
at t.sync (backbone.js:1147)
at t.default.a.a.sync (Backbone.syncWithMultipart.js:129)
at t.sync (backbone.js:634)
at t.fetch (backbone.js:871)
at t.fetch (Collection.coffee:123)
at t.r.fetch (PaginatedCollection.coffee:76)
at t.value (OutcomesDirectoryView.js:83)
at t.View (backbone.js:1002)
at t [as constructor] (View.coffee:26)‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Has anyone else run into this? Any solutions besides a ticket to Instructure?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Hi  @bbennett2 

Replicating your Issues

I tried to replicate your issues with the one of the outcomes that I had and just added one to the quiz. I kept clicking on the Outcomes link and nothing happened:

321632_pastedImage_2.png

Looking at the code and indeed, I get the same issues:

321635_pastedImage_6.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On an aside, 

I have tried aligning Outcomes to individual quiz questions.

I started by making my Outcomes and then waited 48hrs (not 24!) for them to be recognised:

321624_pastedImage_1.png

I then made a quiz and aligned each Outcome to the different questions (note that you cannot pull quiz questions from the Item bank to do this!)":

321626_pastedImage_3.png

321627_pastedImage_4.png

I then got some staff to take the quiz and checked the Outcomes Analysis report to get this:

321628_pastedImage_6.png

The table confused me as I had assumed that I would get a break down of the scores for each quiz question associated with the Outcome and not the overall score. I could not understand why I was getting a repeated scored in each of the three Outcome columns.

Nothing is reported back to the Learning Mastery Gradebook however. I assumed this was the case as it was documented here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16433-71669794717 in the Guides although I am not sure why the Idea is not in the Known Issues - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12075 ?

There are no guides to help with this so a lot of this was trial and error.

Thanks for confirming  @GideonWilliams . I've asked our IT department to submit a bug report with Instructure.

Let me know how you get on....

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@bbennett2 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while, so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

How we keep your questions flowing! 

Robbie