cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scott_johnson3

Manually grading policy to Automatically GP

Jump to solution

How can I change assignments in the gradebook from the "Manually" grading policy to the "Automatically" grading policy. I never wanted them set to Manually, it just started that way. I also found that this policy is a multi-step process rather than a one step process and grades are permanent and can't be changed until the end of the semester. This is not acceptable. I need this changed asap.

1 Solution

@scott_johnson3 , I just tested this in my own course and it seems to be working for me - in that I am able to switch back and forth between Manual and Automatic. If you aren't seeing this, then I'd start by updating your browser, then, if it still isn't working I'd contact Canvas Support (Help link in Canvas and "Report a Problem"). 

Kona

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Howdy Scott,

To change your course's gradebook to "automatic" for grade posting policies, you would follow steps noted on this page: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-17328-41521116617

Basically, 

• click on the gear in your gradebook
  • click on the grade posting policies tab
  • then change the radio button from manual to automatic.

Hope that helps; let us know.

Sky V.

scott_johnson3

I tried that earlier, it's grayed out. None of the columns that are set to Manually can be changed to Automatically in the settings.

0 Kudos

@scott_johnson3 , I just tested this in my own course and it seems to be working for me - in that I am able to switch back and forth between Manual and Automatic. If you aren't seeing this, then I'd start by updating your browser, then, if it still isn't working I'd contact Canvas Support (Help link in Canvas and "Report a Problem"). 

Kona

Doesn't work in my class. The choice for Automatic is grayed out and can't be changed to it.

0 Kudos
scott_johnson3

Worked with tech support and here is the resolution. Evidently, I had set some assignments to Moderated (which I probably thought was similar to Delegated in Blackboard to allow other graders). People can evidently still be graders without that. That setting automatically changed the assignments from the Automatically grading policy to the Manually grading policy and also muted the controls so that it couldn't be changed back. Once Moderated was removed from an assignment, the controls were un-muted and I could change them back to the Automatically grading policy (except for one that had some assignments already graded).

Hi  @scott_johnson3  

You are not the first user to be confused by "Moderated Grading".

This functionality was created for those schools who use the Great Britain education practice in which multiple individuals independently grade a student's work, then those grades are approved by a "moderator".  Simplified explanation, but the bottom line was that Canvas was close to useless in areas or schools that mandated moderated grading.

This document from 2017 provides a fuller, and likely more accurate< explanation https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10412-4152477015 

Kelley

0 Kudos