cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parmana
Community Participant

Manually unlock a quiz not working.

I am having a similar problem to these two questions...

https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/9524

https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/5882

I have multiple students who cannot access multiple quizzes.  The quizzes have due dates, and until dates, which have passed.  Some of the quizzes had prerequisites, which I have confirmed the students have completed.

According to the Guides I should be able to manually unlock the quiz from the moderate this quiz page.  This I have done.  Multiple students still report that the quizzes are locked to them even though I see that they are unlocked on the moderate page.  I have also tried adding extra attempts (even though original attempts are still available).  Students are still locked out.

This occurs on iphones, android phones, and windows 7 computers.

The above links go back to 2016 and 2015 - surely the fix for iphones reported in 2015 in the second link has been implemented?

Could someone please explain exactly what is supposed to happen with "add extra attempts" and "manually unlock a quiz"?  Neither seem to be doing what the Guides say, and I have read many different Guide pages on these subjects multiple times.  I have asked students to report this to Canvas and have put in a ticket myself, but no fix and we are still having this problem.      How do I let a student take a quiz that is passed due???  I need a simple way that works!  

One link above suggests differentiating students with individual due dates.  Do I really need to go in and differentiate multiple students and give them each a new and different due date?  Seems like a huge waste of time.

TL;DR

==> I will reread the Guides and once again try to find the answers myself, but I would like to know from an expert ...

==>Under what circumstances will "manually unlock a quiz" actually allow the student to take the quiz?

Circumstances to consider ...     

Due Date - passed or not

Until Date - passed or not

Attempts - used up or not

Prerequisites - completed or not

My interpretation of the Guides on what is supposed to happen, and what is actually happening to my students, are not the same.  Help!

3 Replies
awilliams
Community Champion

Hey  @parmana , 

I have multiple students who cannot access multiple quizzes.

I'm sorry to hear that. You asked this question 5 days ago and if your students still can't access those quizzes that stinks! Is this still the case?

If it is, let's see what we can do. Definitely the best way to get this figured out would be to look into it from both a student an instructor perspective and that's something only administrators or Canvas Support can do. I know you said you've already put in a ticket. Did you get any response to that? Did that response include any kind of tracking number or case number?

You asked a broader question about the various scenarios quiz functionality impacts availability to students, but for now I'm going to focus on your quiz availability for your students. I hope you don't mind Smiley Wink

Let's start at the top.

• Students have been doing things in the course, so the course is published.
  • Is the course separated into sections? How do I view enrollments in a course section? 
  • Other open quizzes are available to your students? It is just the ones in the past?
  • You said these quizzes were in modules with prerequisites. Can you post a screenshot or two of that setup?
  • You said these quizzes had dates that have since passed. Can you post a screenshot or two of that setup?
  • It sounds like you've figured out how to Choose "Manually unlock this quiz for the next attempt" but here's a specific guide for that just for reference: Once I publish a quiz, how can I give my students extra attempts? 

Hope your fall is going ok otherwise!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @parmana ...

I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question here in the Canvas Community on September 16th, and so I wanted to check in with you.  It looks like awilliams has several questions for you that need some clarification.  Have you had a chance to review Adam's feedback?  If you could please come back to this topic to provide some answer for Adam, that would be helpful.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@parmana ‌,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie