Updated

How can I mark files as read?

Message was edited by: Chris Hofer

Tags (3)
1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@wlng25-c ​, I'm guessing you might be talking about the functionality (in Module requirements) for students to mark something as done (aka-  "Mark as Done") - How do I add requirements to a Module? I've used it for Pages, but unfortunately this feature isn't available for files. The only requirement available for Files is "View the Item." Otherwise there isn't another option for student to mark a file as read.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @wlng25-c ​...

Are you saying that you'd like to know when students have looked at or read a file that you have available for them in the "Files" area of your course?  I don't believe this is possible...at least I've never heard of being able to do this within Canvas.  Our Technical College has only been using Canvas for about 1.5 years, so if someone has been using Canvas longer and knows of a way to do this, I'd be interested to learn more.

Also, since your subject line and the body of your message are the same, I'm going to shorten the subject line and tag your questions with keywords so that it is easier for people to search for.  If the revised subject line doesn't reflect what you are asking, please let me know, and we can make any necessary changes.  Hope this is ok with you.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@wlng25-c ​, I'm guessing you might be talking about the functionality (in Module requirements) for students to mark something as done (aka-  "Mark as Done") - How do I add requirements to a Module? I've used it for Pages, but unfortunately this feature isn't available for files. The only requirement available for Files is "View the Item." Otherwise there isn't another option for student to mark a file as read.

Hope this helps!

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@Chris_Hofer ​ and  @kona ​, I'm wondering something else:  @wlng25-c ​, are you a teacher or a student? If you're a teacher,  @Chris_Hofer  and  @kona  have given you the best advice. As far as I know, there's no functionality in Canvas that allows a student to mark files as read. If a teacher includes files as required items for progression within a module, then as you complete those items, you should see a check mark next to the item in the module--but whether that functionality exists for a student or not depends entirely on how the teacher has designed the course.

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @wlng25-c ​...

We haven't heard from you in a while.  Did any of our responses help to answer your question?  Please let us know...thanks!!!

Stef_retired
Community Team
Community Team

@wlng25-c ​, since we haven't heard from you in awhile, we're hopeful that one of the solutions provided above has helped you with your question. I'll mark  @kona ​'s response above with the "Correct Answer" designation. The topic remains open for participation, so if you still need help with this, just post a follow-up reply to "bump" the thread.