cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitman_11
Community Participant

Mastery Path choices based on interest, not mastery?

Jump to solution

I would like to create different mastery paths based on student interests, not on mastery per se. For example, students have the option of writing a stand-alone literature review for their paper, or writing up some primary research. The only way I see of sending students on different mastery paths is based on their numerical grade on a source assignment. So I could give a student a grade of 1 if they choose the literature review, and a 0 if they choose the primary research, but this isn't an issue of mastery, and I don't want to assign someone a low grade just in order to send them on a particular mastery path. Is there a way to get around this?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @whitman_11 

Check out this blog from the famous  @kona ‌  https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona !

Kelley

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @whitman_11 

Check out this blog from the famous  @kona ‌  https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona !

Kelley

View solution in original post

Yes! I do this set up with my students as they select art projects. ...though, remember to add the due dates to the groups after they make their selections so everything populates on their calendars correctly.

whitman_11
Community Participant

I'm glad to see that the solution I was working toward is one that a Canvas master has had success with and recommends. One thing I'll add: Kona addresses the issue of the zero grade by having the quiz in zero-weighted assignment group. This is key. I started by making the quiz itself worth zero points, but that made it ineligible to be the trailhead of a Mastery Path. Now I know to make it worth 1 point, but then stash it in an assignment group that will ignore that grade. 

Hildi_Pardo
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi! I can't seem to access @kona's blog referenced above.  Is it still available?  If so, is there a new link?

Hi! I'm guessing it's this page/information -  Hacking Mastery Paths - Canvas Community

Hope this helps! 🙂

Kona

Hildi_Pardo
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Brilliant! Thank you, Kona!