cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whitman_11
Community Participant

Mastery Path choices vs. required sequential order?

Jump to solution

I have a module that begins with 2 tasks that must be done in sequential order: #1,#2.

Assignment #2 is the source assignment in a Mastery Path that leads to 3 assignments that students can do in any order: ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, CBA.

The module ends with assignment #3, which everyone must do after completing A, B, and C.

I have checked the box to require students to do the tasks in sequential order. 

How do I put in items A, B, and C so that students can do them in any order, while preserving the required order of #1, #2, and #3?

I have considered dividing the module so that the ABC module allows flexible ordering, but then I can't add A, B, and C as conditional items upon completion of #2, which would now be in a different module. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@whitman_11 , greetings! I'm sorry that your question has sat here for so long without a response! The only way I can think to do this is to separate things out into three modules.

Module 1 - (have to move in sequential order) - #1, #2 (#2 leads them to Mastery Path for Module 2, which contains ABC).

Module 2 - ABC (can be done in any order, but all must be done to move to Module 3, so use requirements for ABC and a prerequisite for Module 3 - must complete Module 2).

Module 3 - #3

And yes, in response to your question/statement, you can technically have ABC as conditional items for completion of #2 even though they are in different modules. It isn't always recommended to do this because it can get confusing to students, but it DOES work.

Sorry I didn't see and respond to this earlier!

Kona

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@whitman_11 , greetings! I'm sorry that your question has sat here for so long without a response! The only way I can think to do this is to separate things out into three modules.

Module 1 - (have to move in sequential order) - #1, #2 (#2 leads them to Mastery Path for Module 2, which contains ABC).

Module 2 - ABC (can be done in any order, but all must be done to move to Module 3, so use requirements for ABC and a prerequisite for Module 3 - must complete Module 2).

Module 3 - #3

And yes, in response to your question/statement, you can technically have ABC as conditional items for completion of #2 even though they are in different modules. It isn't always recommended to do this because it can get confusing to students, but it DOES work.

Sorry I didn't see and respond to this earlier!

Kona

View solution in original post