Community

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rangulo

Mastery Paths Question

Hello everyone!

I have noticed that mastery paths is a bit buggy. When I was using the test student to assist a professor the test student was not able to continue on the conditional path that we had set. For example, if assignment A was graded it would give the student two options B or C. I could only access assignment B since it was next in sequential order never C no matter what I did. My question is, when will the test student be allowed to mimic a real student role effectively? If it does already, I did not notice since the assignment C was not directly next to A it would not let me progress to C, only B.

Thanks guys!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @rangulo ‌ -

I tried reproducing this as I understood it, and it seems to be working okay, but it may help if you shared a screen capture or two of how you set up things.  For example, here is my Mastery Path as created for Assignment A:

215487_assignment a mastery path.jpg

You  said that Assignment A just had to be graded, so I'm assuming you were not concerned about point values for this first part--they just have to complete it.

After a student is graded for Assignment A, here is what they are seeing:

215488_student view of OR.jpg

After clicking the "Choose Assignment Group," they will see this:

215519_choose assignment path.jpg

Where they can then SELECT Assignment C.

Now, indeed there is currently a bug where if the student clicks on Assignment C after selecting it, they will see a "Page Not Found" error.  That will resolve itself after a few minutes or a logon/logoff, as a discussion on this page indicates:  Canvas Release: MasteryPaths .  But that is still a bug.  I saw it myself just now.  

As a wild guess, are you remembering to rid of the Everyone in the Assign To: areas of both Assignment B and Assignment C and replacing it with Mastery Paths?  That is very, very easy to forget to do with all of the other steps required in setting up a Mastery Path!

Oh, and to answer your concern about Student View--YES, my general impression is that the Student View works just fine with using Mastery Paths.  Once you give a grade to the Test Student for Assignment A, the Test Student will see things just fine.

Hope this helps a bit.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @rangulo ‌...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since your initial posting and  @kblack ‌'s response in early February.  Have you had a chance to review Ken's reply.  Are you still experiencing issues with Mastery Paths?  If Ken's response has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark his response as "Correct".  However, if you are still seeking assistance with this, please post an update so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you troubleshoot.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below..  I hope that's okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you, Rodrigo!