Mastery Paths

Jump to solution
kschell
Community Member

What is the best way to use Module Requirements with Mastery Paths? I would like the students to work through the Path in sequential order.

• Do we just set a requirement for the Source Assignment?
  • Or, do we have to set the requirement for each item in the Path?
  • If it is the second one, then does that mean that all students will have to work all the items in the same order?
  • What if some students don’t have all the items?
  • I’m not sure how this works.
  • It seems like the requirements are contrary to the Path.

Any information you can provide is appreciated. Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution
nwilson7
Community Champion

@kschell I did some testing with this about a year ago so hopefully nothing has changed 😉

I was really impressed with Canvas on this as they have all the coding in place to compare mastery paths and module requirements so that if a student is exempted on something because of their mastery path, that meets the module requirements.

For example (making this very simplistic), I start my module with a quiz that sets you on 1 of 3 paths.  

Path 1 you start with assignment 1 and then must complete assignment 2 and assignment 3 and have module requirements in place to ensure you complete assignment 1 before accessing 2, etc.

Path 2 you start with assignment 2 (skipping assignment 1) and then move to assignment 3.  Again, I still have the same module requirement in place but Canvas detects their path exempted them from assignment 1 so it lets them move on.

Path 3 starts them with assignment 3 and all the facts of path 2 still hold true.

So, you create one set of requirements and then let mastery paths manage the path.

Not sure I answered all your points so feel free to reach back out and I will attempt to answer.

Hope that helps!

-Nick

View solution in original post