Matching questions with several right answers

Jump to solution

So let's say I want to match the following terms:

Match the form of government to the country:

Spain -- Constitutional monarchy

Sweden -- Constitutional monarchy

Italy -- Parliamentary democracy

France -- Parliamentary democracy

(This is an off-the-top-of-my-head example, so that I do not disclose my questions and answers.)

In the instructions for Matching, it reads that "Multiple rows can have the same answer." How is that done? In this case, it seems that I would simply list each one: will it display as separate to students? It would be very confusing if Constitutional monarchy displayed two or three times, or Parliamentary displayed thirty-seven times. Can you help me here?

14 Replies
mbiehl
Community Participant

Very good question, and none of the answers actually address the question. I had the same problem, and used the left hand side to set up 2 categories (3 x Strengths, 3x Weaknesses) to match to attributes to be selected on the right hand side. The automatic grading engine graded the matches as correct only if they were in the same sequence as I'd put it. 

So Jason's question still stands: Can you set up matching in such a way that matches n responses to m categories, where n > m?  One possibility might be an Excel-style input, where attributes that match a category could be inputted on the right hand side in a single field by separating them with a pre-agreed-upon delimiter (e.g., ";" or "|") so they are recognized as multiple possible matching answers. 

Here an example where the student got all the matches right, but inputted them in a sequence that was different from mine.  The grading engine gave him 0/2 points, and I had to manually correct that to 2/2 points. 

330538_pastedImage_1.png

I'm having the same issue!!  How do I avoid the problem of students inputting the correct answer in a different order than I input them?

James
Community Champion

sgerhardt41 

Switch the left and right sides. In  @mbiehl 's  example, you would put cost, capacity, accessibility, speed, global reach on the left side and strength and weakness (repeated) on the right side.

mbiehl
Community Participant

@James ' example is a good idea. But switching left and right is not always possible. In  @jlocke 's example, one could put the constitution types on the left and the countries on the right, but with the drawback that the last answer is pre-determined based on elimination. In my example, students have been given a longer list of factors to choose from than the number of possible matches, so turning it around is not great. In the system, repeating answers on the right hand side are just strings, and there is no check whether any of them are equal to any other. 

James
Community Champion

@mbiehl  

You seem to be asking a different question than Jason. If you re-read his question, it was asking what would happen if multiple rows had the same answer. His works just fine with the nation on the left and the type of government on the right. That is the way that duplication in matching is designed to work.

It is not designed to work where you duplicate the left side but not the right side.

As to your argument that matching won't work if you switch the sides, you could put your distractors on the left side if you make the choices on the right side: strength, weakness, and neither. You could even add a fourth item and make the choices: strength, weakness, neither strength nor weakness, and both strength and weakness.

Your drawback that the last answer is predetermined is only because you chose to ask for three strengths and three weaknesses. If you didn't specify that there were three of each of them, it wouldn't be an issue.

There are other ways besides matching to ask your question. None of them are going to be exactly what you want, but matching isn't exactly what you want either. Sometimes you have to decide what is most important to you or you create a feature idea in an effort to get it developed the way you want it. Canvas isn't doing any more developing on Legacy Quizzes though and have announce its end of life. I did a look for ideas that were open for voting and the closest I could find to yours is https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16026-new-quizzing-multiple-correct-answers-for-matching-quest.... That appears substantially different from what you're wanting (it would let someone pick strength or weakness), so I would create a new idea rather than commenting on that one. Make sure that you specify that you want each response to be unique. However, they might also say this can be accomplished with existing functionality by reversing your left and right sides and archive the idea. It's hard to predict how things will go sometimes.

Here are a couple of ways that you could ask your question.

You could split it into two questions and use two multiple-answers questions. The first could ask about strengths and the second could ask about weaknesses. You could make each question worth half the points as the original question.

You could use a multiple drop down question type. In the text, you ask "Which of these are strengths?" followed by 3 drop downs listing your choices and then "Which of these are weaknesses?" followed by 3 drop downs listing your choices.

If you list all of your choices with each multiple drop down, then it doesn't fix the issue that I think you mean when you write "repeating answers on the right hand side are just strings, and there is no check whether any of them are equal to any other." I think you mean that if someone knew that cost was a strength, they could put cost for all three strengths and get it correct.

One work around includes shortening the list. Maybe you ask half as many questions (2 strengths and 1 weakness) and each drop down contains a strength, a weakness, and a distractor without repetition.