cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
c_odriscoll
Community Member

Max number of associated courses to a Blueprint

Jump to solution

Hi there, I am hoping to use Blueprinting to help control a large number of (almost) identical courses, about 900 in total. Is there a limit to the number of associated courses per blueprinted courses? Or is functionality (e.g. the success of syncing) affected by having lots of associated courses?

Thanks, Clare.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @c_odriscoll  Welcome to the Canvas Community and to the totally awesome feature of blueprint courses.  (Your mention of 900 courses makes me realize how incredibly small my own institution is by comparison.)  While I have never heard a maximum number, I think it is safe to say that you are perfectly fine, and the reason I say this is because I recently watched the recording of  @joseph_allen  and  @audra_agnelly 's presentation at InstructureCon18:   , where they state that they pushed out two templates (elementary/secondary) to (gulp....) 15,000 courses in their school system.  

I would recommend, as well, that you not only watch their presentation for some other deployment ideas, but also  @lindalee ‌'s presentation  .  There are a few other blueprint-related presentations from the same conference that you can find listed on the results screen from a search that I did here.

I hope this helps a bit, Clare!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @c_odriscoll  Welcome to the Canvas Community and to the totally awesome feature of blueprint courses.  (Your mention of 900 courses makes me realize how incredibly small my own institution is by comparison.)  While I have never heard a maximum number, I think it is safe to say that you are perfectly fine, and the reason I say this is because I recently watched the recording of  @joseph_allen  and  @audra_agnelly 's presentation at InstructureCon18:   , where they state that they pushed out two templates (elementary/secondary) to (gulp....) 15,000 courses in their school system.  

I would recommend, as well, that you not only watch their presentation for some other deployment ideas, but also  @lindalee ‌'s presentation  .  There are a few other blueprint-related presentations from the same conference that you can find listed on the results screen from a search that I did here.

I hope this helps a bit, Clare!

View solution in original post

@c_odriscoll , we've had no issues. Last year we pushed out an elementary and a secondary blueprint, with each group being several thousand courses, so 900 should be no problem. The only issue you could run into is the time for the data migration which is going to depend on the number of courses and the size of the course you're blueprinting. Our blueprint was just a course template with course settings, a homepage, and some other formatted resources to get teachers started, so not a large course but due to volume, it took a few hours for content to appear in the receiving courses. I can't speak to resyncs, we just do an initial push. 

Thanks so much for your help - that's really useful!

Thanks a lot for that - puts my mind at rest!