cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dorsettma
Community Member

Merging two quizzes together

Jump to solution

Can two separate quizzes be merged together into a new quiz? If so, how is this done?

I built some detailed quizzes during my summer class which I would like to re-use in my fall class. However the chapters covered in my fall class are different than the summer one. Seems like it would be easier to combine the two quizzes and delete the unneeded chapters than to rebuild all the detailed question sets.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dorsettma ​...

I'm not sure if two quizzes can be merged together, but I wonder if this might be a possible workaround for you?  Have you considered using the "Find Questions" button when creating a quiz?  Here is a Canvas Guide I found for you that may help: How do I create a quiz by finding questions in a question bank?  Once you have added the questions from one quiz into the other quiz, you could essentially remove/delete the quiz you no longer need.  You might want to try this first inside of your school's "beta" environment (How do I access the Canvas beta environment?) to test it out with a couple questions...and then if it does, you could move ahead and add the questions in your "Production" environment.

Hope this helps, Maggi!

View solution in original post

milesl
Community Contributor

I followed these steps to merge Quiz A into Quiz B:

1. Go to course settings > export content
2. Export type: quiz
3. Select the "Quiz A" and download the zip file
4. Go to settings > import content
5. Content type: qti zip file and upload the zip file from step 3
6. Default question bank: create new question bank
7. Edit Quiz B
8. Go to the bottom of the question tab, click the "find questions" button and select the newly imported question bank
9. Select all questions, add them to a new question group in Quiz B, and save

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @dorsettma ​...

I'm not sure if two quizzes can be merged together, but I wonder if this might be a possible workaround for you?  Have you considered using the "Find Questions" button when creating a quiz?  Here is a Canvas Guide I found for you that may help: How do I create a quiz by finding questions in a question bank?  Once you have added the questions from one quiz into the other quiz, you could essentially remove/delete the quiz you no longer need.  You might want to try this first inside of your school's "beta" environment (How do I access the Canvas beta environment?) to test it out with a couple questions...and then if it does, you could move ahead and add the questions in your "Production" environment.

Hope this helps, Maggi!

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

No way to automatically merge two quizzes. The work around Chris explained would probably be the best way to make this work.

DaleDrees
Community Champion

Hi  @dorsettma ​,  @chofer 's method works great! Another option that I do sometimes is quickly export the two quizzes and then bring them back into the course into quiz banks. Then create a new quiz and pull from those banks. (delete the old ones when done).One reason that I like this approach is then I can quickly adjust the point value on all the questions.

Dale

milesl
Community Contributor

I followed these steps to merge Quiz A into Quiz B:

1. Go to course settings > export content
2. Export type: quiz
3. Select the "Quiz A" and download the zip file
4. Go to settings > import content
5. Content type: qti zip file and upload the zip file from step 3
6. Default question bank: create new question bank
7. Edit Quiz B
8. Go to the bottom of the question tab, click the "find questions" button and select the newly imported question bank
9. Select all questions, add them to a new question group in Quiz B, and save