cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
linda_flores
Community Participant

Message alert

Jump to solution

Hi. I just wrote a meesage to all the student in my course and then I tried the student view to see what it looks like. Nowhere can I see any alert that tells the students they've got a new message. I think the normal thing would be to see a number in the message box to indicate 1 new message, or something. 

The second thing I noticed and that I find strange is that if my message includes written text and a video, the student can only see the written text, unless the click to answer the message, then they see the video as well. Is that really right? 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @linda_flores 

@joseph-candela  is correct. Student View only applies to within the course, and does not include things like the dashboard, Inbox, etc. Two things you can do...

1. Go to your Inbox and filter for "Sent" items. Then you can view the message as your students would, and you can verify who it was sent to.
  2. Ask you Canvas Admin/Support Dept. to create a dummy student account enrolled in your course. Then you can log in as that student, and view everything exactly as your students do.

I know that sometimes what happens in cyberspace is difficult to believe on faith, but we have been using Canvas for 6 years and if you choose to send a student (or more than one) an Inbox message, it gets sent. And, since Conversations does not include a rich text editor (RCE) what you see when you compose the message, is exactly what your students see.

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

3 Replies
joseph-candela
Community Participant

Linda, I'm thinking in student view, you are only seeing what's inside the course (the course navigation bar). I believe that when you have a new message that would show up on blue global navigation bar, also I believe it would show up on the dashboard. So when a student logs in they would actually see this on their global navigation bar & dashboard. Just taking a crack at it, would love some input of others. 

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @linda_flores 

@joseph-candela  is correct. Student View only applies to within the course, and does not include things like the dashboard, Inbox, etc. Two things you can do...

1. Go to your Inbox and filter for "Sent" items. Then you can view the message as your students would, and you can verify who it was sent to.
  2. Ask you Canvas Admin/Support Dept. to create a dummy student account enrolled in your course. Then you can log in as that student, and view everything exactly as your students do.

I know that sometimes what happens in cyberspace is difficult to believe on faith, but we have been using Canvas for 6 years and if you choose to send a student (or more than one) an Inbox message, it gets sent. And, since Conversations does not include a rich text editor (RCE) what you see when you compose the message, is exactly what your students see.

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

linda_flores
Community Participant

Thank you. My worry wasn’t so much about whether my message was sent or not but more about how the students notice they’ve got a new message. Somehow I think the message notification on the dashboard is too discrete. I would like to be able to send out important messages that would put up like a square in front of the page opened and cover whatever’s behind so that they would have to click on it in order for it to close down. It that way it would be harder to miss. And also the fact that they don’t seem to see if there’s a video in the message unless they click to answer the message.

Here’s a video that shows what I mean. My Canvas is in Swedish and the video is withot sound, but you’ll see that I’ve send a message with one line of text and then an embedded video. When I go into student mode and open the message all I see is the line of text. The video is only shown if I click to answer the message.

Canvas support - GU Play, Göteborgs universitet