cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anthonem
Community Contributor

Microsoft OneDrive help guide

Jump to solution

Would the very helpful Canvas guides team create a guide for students who are submitting a paper to an assignment using Microsoft OneDrive? Similar to How do I upload a file from Google Drive as an assignment submission in Canvas?

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Mark,

Though we don't generally document LTIs, we tend to create guides for key integrations, such as Google Docs. If similarly incorporated into Canvas, OneDrive would most likely end up as a guide lesson.

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post

6 Replies
paubro1271
Community Member

I noticed the onedrive business model was available, but the home edition is not an option for turning in assignments.

anthonem
Community Contributor

Good point  @paubro1271 ​ -- our institution has OneDrive for business so we encourage students to use it. If Instructure makes a guide, it would need to make it clear that it's for OneDrive business.

awilliams
Community Champion

I'm not sure anyone not on the Canvas Doc Team could answer this question, so I am going to tag erinhallmark​ to see if she can help get an answer to this.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@anthonem ​...

EnabledWebServices.jpgI am torn on this question.  On the one hand, I completely understand why this would be a benefit to have a Guide created because it's another way for students to submit homework.  On the other hand, I'm not so sure this is something that Instructure should be including in their documentation.  Here's why I say this...

Unless I am mistaken, the Google Drive integration is something that can be turned on as an "Enabled Web Service" within the administrative pages of Canvas (as shown in the screen shot).  When Google Drive is enabled, then you can go to your own profile (via "Account" >> "Settings") and connect your Google Drive account as a "Registered Service".  In addition, you'll notice that OneDrive is not listed in the screen shot as a Web Service.  Technically, OneDrive is a LTI app (I've never seen it listed any other place in Canvas).  So, that requires some extra setup (the Consumer Key and Shared Secret).  For this reason, I'm not 100% sure that Instructure should create a Guide.  Yes, I agree that it would be very beneficial.  But are there Guides for every other LTI tool that is available to connect to Canvas?  Not really.

Ultimately, this decision will be left up to the team that works on the Guides from day to day.  If they create one, awesome!  If they don't, I understand why.  My two cents.

anthonem
Community Contributor

@chofer ​ -- thanks for your excellent analysis of my request! You're right, Canvas isn't in the business of creating guides for all the LTI's. Though, there is indication that Office 365 may be integrated in a similar fashion as Google Docs here:

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Mark,

Though we don't generally document LTIs, we tend to create guides for key integrations, such as Google Docs. If similarly incorporated into Canvas, OneDrive would most likely end up as a guide lesson.

Thanks,

Erin

View solution in original post