cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wgargaro
Community Participant

Mid Term and Final Exams

Jump to solution

Is there a way to enter mid-term and final exams outside of the nine weeks (term) average?

Our grade is usually averaged as follows:

1st nine weeks - 40%

2nd nine weeks - 40%

Mid Term Exam - 10%

Final Exam- 10%

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this in Canvas?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@wgargaro , the Multiple Grading Periods feature should allow you to accomplish exactly this; however, it must be set up for you at the account level. Please refer to this lesson from the Canvas Guides for additional information: How do I create Multiple Grading Periods for my institution? Admins can create multiple templates, which would give you the ability to choose the one that best suits your course structure.

If this isn't available to you, a less desirable workaround that you could employ at the course level would be to structure your Gradebook by weighted assignment groups. To do this, you would create four assignment groups, whose contents correspond exactly to the four components you've outlined in your question. The reason I say it's less desirable is that you can only employ one assignment group scheme, so if you were planning to weight quizzes, assignments, and discussions according to specific assignment groups, you would no longer have that option available to you. Here's the guide for creating weighted assignment groups: How do I weight the final course grade based on Assignment Groups?

Please let us know if your school was able to deploy Multiple Grading Periods for you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@wgargaro , the Multiple Grading Periods feature should allow you to accomplish exactly this; however, it must be set up for you at the account level. Please refer to this lesson from the Canvas Guides for additional information: How do I create Multiple Grading Periods for my institution? Admins can create multiple templates, which would give you the ability to choose the one that best suits your course structure.

If this isn't available to you, a less desirable workaround that you could employ at the course level would be to structure your Gradebook by weighted assignment groups. To do this, you would create four assignment groups, whose contents correspond exactly to the four components you've outlined in your question. The reason I say it's less desirable is that you can only employ one assignment group scheme, so if you were planning to weight quizzes, assignments, and discussions according to specific assignment groups, you would no longer have that option available to you. Here's the guide for creating weighted assignment groups: How do I weight the final course grade based on Assignment Groups?

Please let us know if your school was able to deploy Multiple Grading Periods for you.

View solution in original post

jdoyle2
Community Member

Hello,

I see that this post is from a couple of years ago so not sure if anyone will respond but we have a question about how to exempt students from a final exam when the final exam is set up as a separate grading period?

Thanks

nr2522
Community Champion

Hi,  @jdoyle2 ‌.

Please let us know if you have any questions after reading How do I excuse an assignment for a student in the Gradebook?

jdoyle2
Community Member

Hi and Thanks,

Yes I have seen this but we were told by someone at Canvas that if the final exam is a separate grading period you cannot EX a whole grading period.