cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Participant

Migrating and publishing without student email notification

I am about to migrate a Canvas Course from a "Sandbox" to a live course that has students already registered. Almost all of my course content is in modules; everything else is published and ready to be viewed by students. I have set every module to be locked until its designated week of release. However, I may yet be making changes to the pages in the currently-locked (future) modules, and I may add quizzes to those locked modules as well.

My default preference is to publish pages but keep them locked, because the error message that student receive is friendlier, and I don't care if students see the title of the page or the sequence of pages in the module. But I've been told that when you publish material in a live course, students receive email notifications. I don't want them to get an email about a quiz that they won't be able to take for two more months. So my questions are:

* When I migrate hundreds of pages and quizzes that are "published" but locked down, will students receive an email notification that a new page/quiz has been published, even though it will be locked until October?

* Likewise, if I later add a new quiz or other element to a locked module in the live course, will student receive an email notification about it?

8 Replies
jhoar
Community Participant

Ethan,

The students will not receive notifications of new pages or quizzes unless the box "Notify users this page has changed" has been selected.

Jim Hoar

Career Point College

San Antonio, TX

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

60980756​, as long as you haven't published the actual course itself, you can copy content into your course, publish modules, course content, etc as desired and students will not get a message about it. When you publish the course students will not get any type of notifications about things you published when the course was unpublished. Yet, once you publish the course if you make additional changes or updates students will get notifications about those assignments.

Short story - Don't publish your course until you've published/tweaked everything that needs tweaked. Smiley Wink

Hope this helps!

Community Participant

Thanks, Kona! Unfortunately, the course to which I'm migrating is already live, and I don't think I have the authority to un-publish it. And I definitely don't have the luxury of finishing all my tweaks before the course goes live. At this point, we're lucky that we have the first few weeks ready to go; I will need to add the remaining content as we go.

Do you think if I follow Jim's advice above (not checking the box saying content has changed) I can avoid all the notifications?

Community Participant

Thanks, Jim!

There is no checkbox like you mention for copying content from another course. Will my student be emailed if new published-but-locked content is imported into the course?

What about if I create and publish new pages or quizzes in the live course that are inside locked modules? Will students be emailed of the existence of those pages, even though they can't access them yet?

(I don't actually care if they can see the pages exist when they poke around in Canvas, or on the Syllabus. I'm more concerned that they'll receive emails that make them think they should see something, when they can't.)

jhoar
Community Participant

Hi Ethan,

I apologize as I might have misunderstood. As I understand the process, if the content is locked the students do not receive an email notification. The check box on the pages is unchecked by default.

I sometimes use the Canvas test environment to see what happens. I haven't check for what you are talking about. Maybe I put to much trust in Canvas Smiley Happy I just have never seen a student notified whenever I change something on a published, unpublished, or locked content page. Unless, of course, I have checked the box.

I could be wrong. Alas, it is late in the day and I have more opportunities to be wrong.

Jim Hoar

Hi Jim,

Just to be clear, .test and .beta instances do not send notifications so they are not good places to test what action will or will not trigger a given notification.

Thanks,

Scott

cliffkc
Community Participant

I publish my quizzes and discussion assignments at least a day before the module opens and for a quiz it is at least three days until it is available to take.  The students receive an email once it is published and then they contact me asking for a link or where is the assignment (since they can't see either until the module is opened).  I don't understand the benefit of them receiving an email when things are published versus "open/available".

If you are working on upcoming weeks it makes since to publish the assignments/quizzes since they won't be available until the module opens but it confused the students to get email notifications every time you publish something while doing prep work.

Is there a way to stop the email notification?  Or suggestions how to work around this?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

The only way around this is to not publish anything until you are ready for students to access it. Otherwise yes, they will get that notification since the course is live and the assignment is published. Even if the content is in a locked Module.