Minimum score required in assignment groups?

Jump to solution
doldham1
Community Participant

I’m wondering if it’s possible in Canvas to set a minimum score that’s required in a given assignment group in order to receive a minimum grade. This is different from weighting assignments or groups.

I’ll illustrate with an example. Suppose I have 4 assignment groups, each worth 25 points or 25% of the final grade. A student could in theory completely ignore one assignment group and still pass the class, though with a low score (75%, traditionally around a C).

As far as I know it’s mathematically impossible to prevent this outcome simply by the way points are distributed. Somehow there has to be a different system or procedure for establishing a minimum cutoff. You’d test to ensure that the cutoff(s) have been reached, and only then apply the straight percentage distribution.

To use my example again, you’d test to ensure that assignment groups A, B, C, and D all have at least, say, 10 points, and then look at the total points to determine the grade. But if any of the groups fell below 10 points, the grade would convert to some pre-set number, whether a 1.0 or 0.0 or whatever, regardless of the total points.

I should add that I don’t think prerequisites in modules will work for this. I haven’t looked into them too closely but my understanding is that they’re designed to be used sequentially or chronologically—in the simplest case, students must complete module A or assignment A before going on to module or assignment B. If that’s correct, this would not serve my needs as all the assignment groups I’m talking about are continuous throughout the course. I’m looking for a final total, not a step en route to the final. I hope that makes sense. If there is a way to use modules for my purpose, I’d be interested to learn.

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
2 Solutions
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @doldham1 , as far as I know this isn't possible in the Canvas gradebook, and I struggled mightily with the same impossible math when I was teaching. In my case, the college imposed a requirement that students in this type of course had to successfully complete X number of words of graded activities to achieve a grade of C or better in the course—and while I tweaked the points for assignments and weights for assignment groups to get as close to that as I could, ultimately it involved a manual override that I warned about frequently and advertised extensively so students wouldn't get caught short.

I did find a feature idea that somewhat aims at what you're looking to accomplish; perhaps the resource I provided in the comment there will get you closer to what you need: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15531-adding-must-pass-selection-for-an-assignment 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
doldham1
Community Participant
Author

Thanks, Stefanie. That's what I thought but I figured it was worth asking.

I did have a look at the link you provided, and the follow-on link from there (Override/Adjust the Final Grade). The adjustment option was interesting but, as you suggest, doesn't quite get me there. I think I will just have to use the approach you describe: the manual override and the frequent reminders.

Thanks again.

View solution in original post

0 Likes