cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tina_callaway1
Community Participant

Missing a step in Rubric Import Process

Hello.  I am using TamperMonkey to create a rubric in Excel and import it into Canvas.  Everything is working properly but when I go to the rubric in the gradebook it does not allow me to select a score for a criterion nor will it provide me a chance to change the far right column to a score I would prefer within a range let's say.  What step am I missing?  Everything else imports perfectly but I need to be able to manipulate/select the values.  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Tina 

Tags (3)
19 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @tina_callaway1  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  Are you creating your rubric using the very handy "Canvancement" called Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet created by  @James ‌? If so, once your rubric has been imported and you have attached it to one of your assignments, you need to make sure to check the option to use the rubric for assignment grading.  (That option is not selected by default, unfortunately.)  See this Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12861-4152724129 ... specifically the screen shot under the heading "Find a Rubric" shows that when you edit the rubric after adding it to your assignment, you need to check the box for "Use this rubric for assignment grading".

I hope this will help to solve the issue, Tina.

tina_callaway1
Community Participant

Hello Chris, thank you for such a prompt response. I am using TamperMonkey by Jan Biniok. https://www.tampermonkey.net/

I do not write code however both seem very similar. I am attaching to an assignment and I am selecting the grading checkbox. I feel it has something to do with the conversion. Tampermonkey asks that we save as a tab delimited file.

Any ideas or how I can easily use the James Jones assistance. His seemed so very complicated.

Thank you again.

Tina

tina_callaway1
Community Participant

What I do not see from Jim Jones is the script I would use and how I would import it. I am sorry - not that advanced -just enough to get myself in trouble I am looking at the links you sent again - I have seen them previously.

Tina

Hi  @tina_callaway1 ...

(Just a quick note that he goes by James, not Jim).

If you take a look at the "Canvancement" link that I provided to you, he does an excellent job of providing short video tutorials on how to get it set up.  So, once you have installed Tampermonkey to your Chrome browser, you'll find the "Quick Install' link near the bottom of his document under the "Installation" heading.  That will install his script for you.  Then, it is just a matter of opening up a black Excel spreadsheet on your computer and start designing.  Here's an example of a rubric I just mocked up quickly in Excel:

Rubric Import

In my example, when I am ready to import, I select everything from Cell A1 through F9.  I then copy all of that into the import rubric interface that James created based on his script (it won't look like a table when you paste it in, but that's okay), and then it will automatically create the rubric.  (Watch his videos for examples.)

In my above rubric, i have 5 rows with possible values of (5, 4, 2, 0) an then another 3 rows with values of (2, 1, 0).  Yup...you can do that and leave cells empty as shown above.  James' script and Canvas figure out the details behind the scenes.

I can't tell you how much this has been a time saver for me when building rubrics for our faculty in courses.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.  Thanks!

tina_callaway1
Community Participant

So sorry - James. My father is James and he much prefers Jim - my error. Smiley Sad

So, while I was hoping to hear from you (thank you!) I built a new rubric copying the first one that starts with "holistic". I pasted it in the import block area (yes, it lost formatting) but it is saying it wants to link outcomes. I don't use outcomes in this way. How do I override this?

Tina

tina_callaway1
Community Participant

I watched James' video and I do not see that the rubric, as nice and easy as it is to do this way, still does not allow for selection of ratings or a box on the far right to input a score I would like to place there.

I think I have pretty much conquered the rest - I just need that one capability that escapes me. Am I clear on my need? Do I need to do it in Firefox perhaps? I am using Chrome.

Thanks again!

Tina

@tina_callaway1 ...

@James ‌ will correct me if I am wrong, but it has been my experience that a box for a selection of ratings isn't possible with his current script he's provided.  I've only used whole number values as shown in my example.  And I also do not believe you can put a score on the far right...at least when you build the rubric.  Canvas handles all the calculations for you...so I'm not clear on what purpose that would serve for you.

I know this isn't really related, but it looks like you may be replying from your e-mail address?  If so, it's posting a lot of your e-mail signature here in the community making our conversation page look longer than it really is.  You might want to come over to this topic in the Community page and edit your responses to remove the extra space...since it's being included in all of your responses.  You'll find a red "Actions" link at the bottom left corner of each of your replies in this topic, and you can select that to choose "Edit".

I hope this helps, Tina.

tina_callaway1
Community Participant

Thank you, Chris.  My Canvas Community Newbie flag is flying...

So to answer the question you posed - when I create a rubric "straight up" in Canvas, when I use the Speed Grader it allows the the opportunity to "click" on a rating box that has an assigned point value or go to the far right column and input the value I wish.  If an "A" is 10 - 7 points the first selectable box on the left is for the full 10 points.  I go to the far right and input 8 as that is what the score should be.  Does that make sense?  That is what is missing by following the tool from James and TamperMonkey.  Perhaps I am wishing for something that doesn't exist yet?

Tina

Hi  @tina_callaway1 ...

I believe you are correct.  Canvas does have a Feature Option that can be turned on by your school's local Canvas administrator called "Rubric Criterion Range" which might be what you're ultimately looking for (see that section in this Guide: What feature options are currently available for an entire Canvas account?).  However, for the purposes of what James' rubric can currently do (and again,  @James ‌ will correct me if I'm mistaken), if you had something like:

10-7 = A

6-5 = B

4-3 = C

2-1 = D

0 = F

Then for your rubric you are building in Excel, I believe you would only use the values of 10, 6, 4, 2, and 0 (similar to what I shared in my example earlier).  Then, once you start grading student work, you can still put in your own point value along the right hand side in the SpeedGrader.  Does that help to answer your question?