cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tina_callaway1
Community Participant

Missing a step in Rubric Import Process

Hello.  I am using TamperMonkey to create a rubric in Excel and import it into Canvas.  Everything is working properly but when I go to the rubric in the gradebook it does not allow me to select a score for a criterion nor will it provide me a chance to change the far right column to a score I would prefer within a range let's say.  What step am I missing?  Everything else imports perfectly but I need to be able to manipulate/select the values.  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Tina 

Tags (3)
19 Replies
James
Community Champion

@tina_callaway1 ,

Outcomes are handled by the script, but they are not required to be used. However, if you use them, you have to follow the instructions, which means going and finding the Canvas ID for them and I would encourage adding a 0 or 1 after it to use the outcome for scoring (1) or not (0). I cannot remember if I have tested the rubric if the blocked format with outcomes, but I know they're covered in the flexible format.

Rubric ranges are not handled by the script, but they are in a planning document I started 2 days ago to do a rewrite of the importer to allow some of the functionality that has been added since I wrote the script. This includes rubric ranges and long descriptions.

If you want to use rubric ranges, then you will need to edit the rubric after it is created and check the box for each row that you want to use a range for.

Tampermonkey is just an extension for your browser that allows it to run the code. The script itself is the one I wrote.

I apologize ahead of time for the messiness of the document, this was something that was kind of developed based on feedback as it went, with much help from  @chofer , rather than being well planned out from the beginning. I'm not an instructional designer and my rubrics are simple, so I didn't know how other people would use it until we got into it. 

Edit: While I was writing this, it looks like you and Chris made a lot of progress and so this is not needed anymore.

If you could provide the rubric that you want to create, Chris or I could probably tell you quickly how to format it in Excel.

James
Community Champion

1. Go to the rubrics page
  2. Import the rubric
  3. Edit the rubric and check the box for each criteria you want to allow ranges with << This seems to be missing
  4. Go to an assignment and use the rubric
tina_callaway1
Community Participant

Thank you both for your patience and assistance.  I think what I am seeking I am not making clear.  Perhaps this is a very cool feature my school allows by giving us the option in SpeedGrader to either select a value or inputting one.  Let me see if I can capture what I am trying to do - 

315296_pastedImage_1.png

So where the first rating is 15, I can either click on that and it autofills the Pts box with 15 OR I can just go to that Pts box and type in 13 for instance.  Then Canvas calculates my column on the right and at the bottom totals my intended score.  This is what I am trying to figure out how to do - I can do the creation of the rubric - I can't get this "automatic" feature to work.  Does this make my issue more clear?  

Thank you again.

Tina

A completed example:

315297_pastedImage_1.png

The green arrow indicates I just clicked on that box because that is the score I wanted.  The 13 I manually put in that box.  

Tina

Chris covered that in his first email. https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12861-4152724129 

You need to edit the rubric in the assignment itself and check the box to use this rubric for scoring.

This is totally aside and has nothing to do with the rubric importer script.

James
Community Champion

Re-reading what you wrote afterwards, I'm not so sure that's it.

tina_callaway1
Community Participant

Thank you, again.  I have checked that box.  Oh well - maybe one day this wish will be a reality,  I do appreciate all of the time and attention to this matter.  Have a great rest of your evening.

Tina

After re-reading, I think I know what you're after, but not 100% convinced.

If you are not using rubric ranges, then entering a value that is not in the rubric itself will not highlight the box.

I'll go back to what I wrote before about the missing step. If you want the 13 to highlight the first box in green, then you need to edit the rubric and check the box for each criteria that says to use a range.

tina_callaway1
Community Participant

Thanks - not worried about highlighting the box since I am able to manually put in those random "off" scores.  I have tried the range idea and alas, it doesn't help me move any closer to the autofill capability.  

No worries - I think Canvas has beaten me this time...I sure wish I knew how to write the script to make this happen - saving that you for you Smiley Happy

Good night and thanks again!

Tina

I'm completely lost as to what you mean by autofill. Canvas doesn't have an autofill. Do you mean that you want Canvas to automatically complete a rubric and give full points and then you go through and change the ones you don't think deserve full points? If so, someone else has written a script to do that -- I remember because I helped him figure it out and it was a bear.