cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbrecheisen

Missing "To Do Notification" when students resubmit assignments

I use discussions as my main assignment type. Students both upload their work so others can learn from it, and they answer Reflection Questions about what they learned.  I use complete/incomplete grading, and I allow students to resubmit if they receive an Incomplete for their grade.  When they first upload their work, I receive notifications in the To Do list of the Dashboard.  However, when they re-upload their work, I no longer receive notifications in the To Do section of the Dashboard, as they've already received a grade (Incomplete). 

How can I see they're reuploaded without enabling email notifications or plucking around the grade book to see if they happened to resubmit?  I want it to show up on the To Do list.

Thanks!

13 Replies
edgardrodrigues
Community Participant

Hi, Thomas.

I also have this problem and could not find any other solution, other than email and gradebook...

@Alexandre_Sch ‌

Other people also face this problem.

0 Kudos
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

I always assumed that a (re)submission on an assignment with a complete/incomplete would initiate a notification. I'll do a little research, but in the meantime, have either of you ( @Alexandre_Sch ‌ + edgardrodrigues‌) submitted a ticket with Canvas Support? They may be able to confirm whether or not this feature is functioning as designed or if you have found a bug.

@KristinL ‌

Yes, we opened a ticket at Canvas. We waiting a answer.

0 Kudos

Hi Edgard, did you ever receive an answer?

0 Kudos

Hi  @tbrecheisen ‌.

The answer was for "subscribe" a discussion forum when you need receive a notification of interations of people.

This is only way that I found to receive anything of discussion.

0 Kudos

Hi! Today, I had a few students submit to an assignment that I had marked "incomplete", and it adjusted my count on the to-do list. I had a mixture of those submitting for the first time, and those submitting again...same result! Smiley Happy

kruesel

I also have this issue, which is new starting in Fall 2019. For the previous two years, I've always received a notification (which is very helpful!) when a student adds posts to a Discussion assignment that's previously been graded.

Since this function used to work, it seems like Canvas should be able to re-implement it. I will submit a ticket to Canvas and reply here if they satisfactorily respond.

gln103
Community Member

After a long conversation with Canvas, Canvas says this is the intended function.   Assignments appear in the "to-do"  notification area only if it is the first submission for that student. So a second submission for a student (aka: resubmission) will not bring the assignment back to the to-do notification area.

That means teachers/faculty must continually monitor old assignments to ensure students haven't resubmitted?  This does not make common sense to me!

0 Kudos
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gln103 , to be clear, are you talking about "Assignments" or "Discussions?" In Canvas. If you are talking about assignments, then yes, if a student resubmits then it DOES show up in the "To do" list. I have students do this all the time in my own course and it always pops up and lets me know I need to regrade their assignment. 

For discussions, the initial post triggers the "To Do," and any discussion posts after that do not re-trigger in "To Do."

Hope this helps! Kona

0 Kudos
gln103
Community Member

@kona ‌, in my case, I'm talking about assignments.  My recent experience and the direct confirmation from Canvas customer support (cromijn‌ and  @jnielsen ‌) contradicts your experience.  Admittedly, Canvas support's confirmation of this functionality was filtered through my University's support team, so maybe there's some miscommunication? 

I can confirm that, at least recently, when a student resubmits an assignment, there is not a new "to do" notification added. Common sense would say resubmissions should be considered "new" and should trigger the "to do" notification so faculty can regrade that resubmission.  Otherwise, that would mean anytime students resubmit something, faculty would have no idea they actually resubmitted unless we manually went into every assignment and manually checked every student's submissions, basically continuously throughout the entire semester, which is unrealistic.

I hope I'm wrong,

Gary

0 Kudos
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gln103 , up through the middle of December this was 100%, not my experience. I have students resubmit a LOT of their assignments and as you noted, I would have never known that they resubmitted if it didn't show up in my to-do list. I just messaged one of my students and asked them to resubmit their assignment from this week so I could see if it popped up in my to-do list... so now we wait...

And the verdict is...???

YES, the assignment resubmission DID show up in my to-do list!

Here is the screenshot showing it popped-up in my to-do list.

To do

Here is the screenshot showing what it looks like when I clicked on the link from the To Do list. It clearly shows that it is a resubmission from tonight. 

Resubmission

My recommendation is to send the link to this conversation to support at your school and see if this helps.

Kona

0 Kudos
gln103
Community Member

@kona ‌, thanks for doing that test.  I "thought" that was my experience too, until recently.  

One variation may have to do with "did you ever hit the little 'x' in the 'to do' notification area for a specific assignment?"  Potentially, if you ever hit that "x" for a specific assignment (meaning you don't want to see that notification until another submission is made) and Canvas pops up the "this item will reappear when a new submission is made" alert, that "may" mean those to do notifications will ONLY appear again for that assignment for new submissions, not resubmissions. 

If that is true, that also does not seem to make common sense and probably is not the functionality most faculty expect.

0 Kudos
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@gln103 , thanks for the extra insight. I never click the X on assignments in my class, so I don't have a good way to test this, but that might explain the discrepancy between my experience and what you recently started experiencing. Yet, I tend to agree that even if you did click the X, you would still want it to come back if a student resubmitted.

Kona

0 Kudos