Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ltscal2
Community Contributor

Moderated Assignments: Functionality

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

As I was looking through the new moderated Assignments feature there are a few issues I came across. If anyone you have any suggestions please let me know! Much appreciated

1) If there are no submissions or grades, if you accidentally click the post button in the moderation area, you end up locking up the assignment and cannot add or edit the moderation.    Is there a way to reverse it or to disable the POST button unless there is at least one submission?

2)  Reversing reviewers?I guess this might not be what its designed for. But if a user accidentally clicked second reviewer but didnt really want that can it be reversed?

3) It would appear that you need to refresh to see the moderation

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @ltscal2 ​- Unfortunately most of what you are witnessing is correct based on my own rather limited experience with moderated assignments as well as playing around with them a bit as a system administrator.  So far as I can tell, there is indeed no way to "undo" a POST.  To Canvas' credit, clicking POST does generate a message box with a warning, so I'm not too sure there's much else that could be done from a programming standpoint about clicking the POST button.  But you're right--there's not much that can be done to reverse it.  In the Gradebook the assignment essentially appears as an ungraded assignment, so even the old trick of "zeroing out" the grades by replacing a score with a dash won't work here.

As for number 2, you have to be aware that the basic principle of a moderated assignment is having but ONE instructor in the course and up to two people as TAs.  So if that one instructor indeed clicking the ADD REVIEWER button, I guess the only way to reverse that is for the instructor to go in and post the final grade.  But they key with those assignments is to keep an eye on them as the TAs are grading them.  Unlike many assignments, you can't "post and forget about them" until it's grading time, because if the TAs are doing their jobs it's ultimately up to the instructor whether to add a second reviewer or not.  What has worked for us in the past (again....limited experience!) is to assign the TA's a list of names of who to grade when.

I'm not too sure about number 3.  But our experience has been that once both grades are posted, the teacher should be able to review the two TA grades at any time using the Speedgrader.  You may very well be correct that a Refresh or two is necessary in the browser on the moderation page in order for the faculty member to see all posted grades so far, though that has not been our experience. 

Hope this helps a bit.  I think the moderated feature is a good one, but one that needs a LOT of hand-holding along the way to work as advertised.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hello  @ltscal2 ​- Unfortunately most of what you are witnessing is correct based on my own rather limited experience with moderated assignments as well as playing around with them a bit as a system administrator.  So far as I can tell, there is indeed no way to "undo" a POST.  To Canvas' credit, clicking POST does generate a message box with a warning, so I'm not too sure there's much else that could be done from a programming standpoint about clicking the POST button.  But you're right--there's not much that can be done to reverse it.  In the Gradebook the assignment essentially appears as an ungraded assignment, so even the old trick of "zeroing out" the grades by replacing a score with a dash won't work here.

As for number 2, you have to be aware that the basic principle of a moderated assignment is having but ONE instructor in the course and up to two people as TAs.  So if that one instructor indeed clicking the ADD REVIEWER button, I guess the only way to reverse that is for the instructor to go in and post the final grade.  But they key with those assignments is to keep an eye on them as the TAs are grading them.  Unlike many assignments, you can't "post and forget about them" until it's grading time, because if the TAs are doing their jobs it's ultimately up to the instructor whether to add a second reviewer or not.  What has worked for us in the past (again....limited experience!) is to assign the TA's a list of names of who to grade when.

I'm not too sure about number 3.  But our experience has been that once both grades are posted, the teacher should be able to review the two TA grades at any time using the Speedgrader.  You may very well be correct that a Refresh or two is necessary in the browser on the moderation page in order for the faculty member to see all posted grades so far, though that has not been our experience. 

Hope this helps a bit.  I think the moderated feature is a good one, but one that needs a LOT of hand-holding along the way to work as advertised.

View solution in original post

ltscal2
Community Contributor

HI Ken:

Thank you for your insightful and detailed reply.  At this point Im not even sure if this feature is being used. But I was doing testing and did something I probably shouldnt but that probably means someone might do the same Smiley Happy