cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alana_malone4
Community Member

Moderation Issue? Please help!!

Jump to solution

We used moderation to do pilot marking for our Year 12 essays. 

After marking we had to release the marks to the students, but in doing so the selections made in the rubric have vanished? This means all the hard work in selecting specific criteria that has inbuilt feedback has gone down the drain...

PLEASE tell me that information still exists somewhere...?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @alana_malone4 ‌ - I fear that your concern is warranted. To the best of my knowledge, once that Post Grades button is clicked, the previous comments pretty much disappear from the earlier graders. To be sure, the documentation does not really spell this out with rubric comments, specifically, though it is implied with this statement found here in the notes in blue at the top:

Students can only view comments in the submission that is selected for the final grade; they cannot view comments from any other provisional grade reviews. If you want to include any comments from additional reviewers, you will have to copy the comments manually into the submission selected for the final grade.

I strongly encourage you to contact Canvas Support (Help>>Report a Problem) about this as soon as possible to make sure; they may have ways of retrieving the earlier comments from the graders within the rubric. In the meantime, depending on when the grades were posted, you might want to access either your Canvas Test or Beta environments to see if the moderated rubrics comments from the graders are still there.  There is a very under-voted Feature Idea that somewhat express the sentiments that you are concerned about:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15208-feedback-from-all-reviewers-in-moderated-grading-scenari... .   Also, I remember commenting about this a few years ago on a completely different question, and you may want to scroll through some of the comments posted here: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/93361-re-multiple-graders-cannot-use-rubric-in-speedgrader .

I will be curious to hear what Canvas Support says about their ability to retrieve those rubric comments, though.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @alana_malone4 ‌ - I fear that your concern is warranted. To the best of my knowledge, once that Post Grades button is clicked, the previous comments pretty much disappear from the earlier graders. To be sure, the documentation does not really spell this out with rubric comments, specifically, though it is implied with this statement found here in the notes in blue at the top:

Students can only view comments in the submission that is selected for the final grade; they cannot view comments from any other provisional grade reviews. If you want to include any comments from additional reviewers, you will have to copy the comments manually into the submission selected for the final grade.

I strongly encourage you to contact Canvas Support (Help>>Report a Problem) about this as soon as possible to make sure; they may have ways of retrieving the earlier comments from the graders within the rubric. In the meantime, depending on when the grades were posted, you might want to access either your Canvas Test or Beta environments to see if the moderated rubrics comments from the graders are still there.  There is a very under-voted Feature Idea that somewhat express the sentiments that you are concerned about:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15208-feedback-from-all-reviewers-in-moderated-grading-scenari... .   Also, I remember commenting about this a few years ago on a completely different question, and you may want to scroll through some of the comments posted here: https://community.canvaslms.com/message/93361-re-multiple-graders-cannot-use-rubric-in-speedgrader .

I will be curious to hear what Canvas Support says about their ability to retrieve those rubric comments, though.

View solution in original post

Thanks for your reply. I'll contact Canvas Support today. 

They aren't even able to see the rubric of the 'final grader'. It literally reset it to a blank rubric. 

scombs426
Community Participant

A couple questions and a comment -

@kblack  @alana_malone4 Is this still an issue? It's always difficult in the community because I have viewed threads regarding issues that date back to 2015 - I'm wondering if I'm missing these in 'known issues' or Canvas doesn't regard this an a technical issue.  Kind of mind boggling that they wouldn't. 

I would DEFINITELY agree this is not noted in a transparent way to those moderating. 

I recently had a teacher who moderated the rubric grading of 24 students.  The rubric feedback only exists for 2 students that she actually completed the rubric for all others once the grade was released are blank!!  I was on chat with Canvas for 40 minutes, walked through each step and this was never mentioned during that chat session as a possible issue for the disappearance of the 22 rubrics that had been completed by the team graders. 

I tried to follow the link in this post but alas they're broken.  I wish Canvas when they moved things about had some way to auto-correct the paths this is happening frequently when I've tried to follow links from posts leaving me to search which gets very time consuming.