cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awhite5
Community Member

Module Prerequisites and Requirements

Is it possible to enable the pre-requisite and requirement option for a public course? I have created a new student online orientation experience that new students are being directed to as soon as they are admitted. The orientation is made public so that student can gain access immediately and not have to wait on gaining access to other online student resources that require a log-in.

Testing the pre-requisite and requirements feature, I find that the user is stalled at the very beginning of the training. I'm greatly interested in using this feature to greatly minimize the amount of time our online academic success coaches currently spend going over the information adequately addressed and assessed within the orientation. 

I've read a few discussion similar to this matter, yet none seem to answer my question specifically as it relates to the pre-requisite and requirement option within a public course. What might I be missing?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mzimmerman
Community Champion

Hi April,

Are the students in question 1) logging into Canvas, and 2) enrolled in the course?  I expect that both of those things are required for Canvas to know who the student is within the context of the course, and thus to track their progress within the course.

Mike

Hi Michael, 

Thank you for your response and question. No, the students are not registered for the course. They are directed to the orientation at the time of acceptance, during the admissions process. I think what I understand you to say regarding the tracking of students is that the prerequisite and requirement options are not options if who we're considering students aren't actually enrolled (on the course roster) in the orientation. Are you familiar with any alternatives to the prerequisite and requirement options that would allow for sequential movement through the module sections? 

Thanks so much for your time and attention. I'm really interested in making the online orientation work as best as I can for our online support services department. Any ideas, tricks, workarounds, enhancements and the like are welcomed and greatly appreciated. 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@awhite5 ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie