cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hjstautland
Community Participant

Modules - collapsed as standard?

Jump to solution

As an instructure, I use modules a lot. A student recently made me aware of that on her computer, all modules were set as expanded as standard. This made it really hard to navigate, as some modules had quite a few elements. How can modules be set up as collapsed as standard?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @hjstautland   and welcome to the Canvas Community!  I don't know of any way to have the modules appear as collapsed by default, and haven't found any creative hacks to make this happen.  Perhaps someone else reading this has found a way.  I did find an open feature idea for this functionality, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1278-modules-display-as-collapsed-by-default" modifiedtitle="t....  This has garnered a good deal of support, but as the page indicates:

"This idea was considered when developing our product plan for Q1 2019 and is not expected to influence development within Canvas at this time.

This idea will remain open for vote.
If this idea is in the top 10% Ideas by vote next cycle it will be reconsidered."

I agree this would be a good addition to the features options in modules.  You might consider voting for this idea as well and perhaps adding your insight in the threaded discussion.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @hjstautland   and welcome to the Canvas Community!  I don't know of any way to have the modules appear as collapsed by default, and haven't found any creative hacks to make this happen.  Perhaps someone else reading this has found a way.  I did find an open feature idea for this functionality, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1278-modules-display-as-collapsed-by-default" modifiedtitle="t....  This has garnered a good deal of support, but as the page indicates:

"This idea was considered when developing our product plan for Q1 2019 and is not expected to influence development within Canvas at this time.

This idea will remain open for vote.
If this idea is in the top 10% Ideas by vote next cycle it will be reconsidered."

I agree this would be a good addition to the features options in modules.  You might consider voting for this idea as well and perhaps adding your insight in the threaded discussion.

I hope this helps and best wishes!

hjstautland
Community Participant

Thank you for your reply. 

As instructor, my modules appear collapsed, so the questions is why opposite is the case with the student?

I will vote for the feature!

pcosta
Community Member

Definitely voting on this feature! Many folks probably are unaware of the different views (student vs faculty), are less inclined to "vote", but this feature would really save a LOT of confusion. For example, I receive about 5-7 emails/day asking "where do I find the extra credit module", which is in fact, down at the BOTTOM of all of the other modules. Looking at my screen, it is very neatly organized, however, per student view, they have to scroll down a very long way to finally access the intended module (extra credit), due to all of the layers within each collapsed module. The only work-around is actually unpublishing some of the modules, but then students can't access needed info.