cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peter_carlsson
Community Member

Move a user between classes

Jump to solution

How do I move a student from one course to another without loosing any assignments/grading and so on?

We have student that will move physical classes. This means that he should be invited to other instances of the courses and removed from his previous courses. However I want to ensure that the work that has been submitted is not lost and is moved to new Canvas courses.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@peter_carlsson , sorry that your question has gone so long without a response. No, unfortunately there is no way to move a student from one class to another without losing the student's work. The coursework is considered part of the course and there is no way to separate out just the submissions from that student to move them over. The best you could do is either ask the student to resubmit the work in the new course or if you have admin access you could go in as the student and download the work and then upload it into the new course (manually). As for grading, you could download the student's grades via CSV and then manually add them to the new course.

Sorry I couldn't be more help on this!

Kona

View solution in original post

5 Replies
am_jagusztyn
Community Participant

I am seconding this question. We also now need to move students from one section to another. Importantly, we want to migrate grades, attendance, and submissions. It doesn't look like an easy way.

Some solutions I have found: download grade csv file from original course and then upload the csv file containing the new student's grades to the course. This seems like it would work. For the attendance, you can export, but may have to import manually.

Download all the student's submissions and send them to the new teacher, but the teacher cannot access the submission via the assignment. 

Any updates on how to do this?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@peter_carlsson , sorry that your question has gone so long without a response. No, unfortunately there is no way to move a student from one class to another without losing the student's work. The coursework is considered part of the course and there is no way to separate out just the submissions from that student to move them over. The best you could do is either ask the student to resubmit the work in the new course or if you have admin access you could go in as the student and download the work and then upload it into the new course (manually). As for grading, you could download the student's grades via CSV and then manually add them to the new course.

Sorry I couldn't be more help on this!

Kona

View solution in original post

@am_jagusztyn , what you've come up with is about the best you can do in situations like this. 

Sorry I can't be more help! Kona

am_jagusztyn
Community Participant

Thank you, Kora. We can, however, move seamlessly between sections. Is that correct?

Yes, as long as the sections are housed within the same course!